Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Zmitko, Jan" <Ja...@Dresdner-Bank.com> on 2005/06/24 11:01:59 UTC

XSL Transformation - many XSL Imports - Performance???

Hi,

I´ve a question mentioned the performance of the XSL Transformation. I need
a XSL Stylesheet which is dynamic against a specific context. So I use a lot
of import statements for Stylesheets, but not all Stylesheets are allways
used.

What happens, if the XSLT Processor worked up the importstatements? Can
these steps have a adverse effect for performance?

Can someone help me with these question?

Thanks a lot,

Jan

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:import href="headerLogo.xsl"/>

<xsl:import href="bodyI.xsl"/>

<xsl:import href="bodyII.xsl"/>

<xsl:import href="footerI.xsl"/>

<xsl:import href="footerII.xsl"/>

Re: XSL Transformation - many XSL Imports - Performance???

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Not if you make sure to reuse the stylesheet. If you use JAXP you need
to make sure that you don't load the stylesheet every time when you do a
conversion like this:

Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(new StreamSource(mystylesheet));

You need to get the Templates object (which represents the stylesheet) and
reuse that:

//do this once
Templates templates = tFactory.newTemplates(new StreamSource(mystylesheet));

//do this for each conversion
Transformer transformer = tfactory.newTransformer(templates);

I hope this helps.

On 24.06.2005 11:01:59 Zmitko, Jan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve a question mentioned the performance of the XSL Transformation. I need
> a XSL Stylesheet which is dynamic against a specific context. So I use a lot
> of import statements for Stylesheets, but not all Stylesheets are allways
> used.
>
> What happens, if the XSLT Processor worked up the importstatements? Can
> these steps have a adverse effect for performance?
>
> Can someone help me with these question?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Jan
>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>
> <xsl:import href="headerLogo.xsl"/>