Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk> on 2015/03/04 14:44:42 UTC

GPL Code in GitHub

Question: I know I've seen this discussed here before, and in any case, you guys are the best source for an answer:

Can we have GPL code in a repository as long as that is not distributed with the product in a 'official' release?

Thanks a lot,

Julian

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
There's not strictly a legal problem with the GPL-using code to be in
Apache's source code repository (and itself be under the Apache
license) - but due to the 'viral' nature of GPL, any compiled products
become GPL as well.

For LGPL dependencies this is less of a worry - but still LGPL comes
with the requirement that you have to be able to replace the LGPL bit
with your own version - which of course is easy enough when you can
move around a JAR in a folder - but not so easy if the Apache-licensed
code has been inserted into a DVD player.

Several projects [1] do use GPL/LGPL dependencies, but solely for test
and build - which is kind-of OK (although [2] has not been updated yet
to explain test dependencies).

The danger is that that compiled code makes it into an Apache binary
release (say by a new committer in two years time) - or that a
consumer downloads the Apache source code, compiles it, and then
distributes the binaries without knowing the the GPL implications of
that.

So to play safe - simply keep it outside the Apache code base at all.

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201501.mbox/%3C54AB9926.4080902@apache.org%3E
[2] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk>.
OK, we are Xerte Project, we make multimedia authoring tools for educators - it's a successful project. Last year we decided we wanted to transition stewardship of the software from University of Nottingham, where I work, to a foundation. We are working through the incubation process at the Apereo Foundation. We considered Apache as well, but Apereo is a better fit for our community as it is based in and around Higher Education. Apereo basically takes it steer from Apache though. I continue to lurk here as I think it is a really good source of best practice for us. I had some conversation with Marvin about it about a year ago. Despite not ending up as an Apache project, I consider Apache the source of 'the way', and have tried to take as much as possible from that. It's been really useful: this is a much bigger community than the Apereo one.

Our software is basically php / javascript. This particular thing is saml, which one of the developers has used to add in some functionlity to make the software work in some slightly different contexts to the usual ones, specifically I think, to allow single sign on from other systems.

Thanks again.
Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Releases explained here:

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk>.

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Exactly, that's why I asked ;)

Just to be sure, else it's an issue IMHO.

Regards
JB

> An Apache project may not manage a codebase outside of Apache. Some people
> who happen to be members of an Apache community can maintain code outside
> of Apache, if they are very clear in distinguishing; it must not be a
> product of the project. See 'Apache Extras'.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> the code is not included in the project (just a reference) ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 03/04/2015 02:44 PM, Julian Tenney wrote:
>>
>>> Question: I know I've seen this discussed here before, and in any case,
>>> you guys are the best source for an answer:
>>>
>>> Can we have GPL code in a repository as long as that is not distributed
>>> with the product in a 'official' release?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>

>>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
>>> and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
>>> message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.
>>>
>>> Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
>>> message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
>>> author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
>>> University of Nottingham.
>>>
>>> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
>>> attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
>>> computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
>>> communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
>>> permitted by UK legislation.

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I notice that apache-extras is now forwarding to Any23.  Is that on purpose?

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk>.
I have a feeling it is some alternative authentication thing. It's optional, to make the project work under certain circumstances.

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Julian,

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk>.
It provides some alternative authentication I think. It's not mine: I found it there and needed to check out licensing issues etc. Most of it, in fact can be deleted.

But the point " There cannot be any GPL code in an Apache repository or in an Apache release" is the stance we will take. It's safer that way. I don't want to undermine the reason for choosing an Apache license in the first place, and that would happen if the repo contained GPL stuff.

> Question: I know I've seen this discussed here before, and in any
> case, you guys are the best source for an answer:
>
> Can we have GPL code in a repository as long as that is not
> distributed with the product in a 'official' release?

There cannot be any GPL code in an Apache repository or in an Apache release.

What are you trying to accomplish with the GPL code?

Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

RE: GPL Code in GitHub

Posted by Julian Tenney <Ju...@nottingham.ac.uk>.