Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roman Fail <rf...@posportal.com> on 2003/05/14 18:20:39 UTC

CoyoteConnector vs. HttpConnector

David -

In the tomcat-user archives, I came across your CoyoteConnector problem from about 6 weeks ago.  I have noticed the same problem randomly happening in our applications (recently switched to Tomcat 4.1.24 from ServletExec).  I suspect the problem is somewhere in the HTTP header, but I haven't really examined it in detail yet.  I have only found this error occurring with Internet Explorer.  Curiously, I found that the problem goes away when you disable IE's "Show friendly HTTP error messages" (found under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing).  Of course I can't make all the web users change their browser settings, so I'm glad to hear you solved it with the HttpConnector.

However, like you I'm concerned about using a deprecated Connector.  I tried to find more messages relating to this topic on the archives, but it's tough to narrow down with keywords - "CoyoteConnector", "HttpConnector", "error", and "HTTP" seem to come up in a lot of mod_jk2 threads!  Did you ever get a good response to your questions?

I'll give the HttpConnector a spin tonight when I get some downtime on the server.  Is there any wisdom out there on this topic?  Is this a genuine bug in the CoyoteConnector?  If no one responds with a real answer, I'm going to report it as a bug after I take a close look at the HTTP headers.  I didn't see anything about this in the current bug list for 4.1.24.

Roman Fail
POS Portal, Inc.

ORIGINAL THREAD:

From: David Morris
Subject: Re: Page not found errors with Tomcat 4.1.24
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:28:02 -0800

Through trial and error, I found that the
CoyoteConnector seems to be the root of the problem.
My pages are served up find with the HttpConnector.
I originally switched to the CoyoteConnector when
I saw that the HttpConnector was deprecated. Does
anyone know if this is a bug and if it has been
reported?

Thanks,

David Morris

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/30/03 10:00 AM >>>
I recently moved a site from Tomcat 4.1.12 to 4.1.24.
That site runs a Struts 1.1-RC1 application. After
the update, the main menu worked OK, but my
application failed with a "Page cannot be displayed"
error. I tried various URLs and could get Tomcat
errors for any page that did not actually exist but
pages that actually did exist (xxx.do) failed. I am
using the Coyote connector and have a single context
defined in the webapps directory.

I ended up bringing the site into Eclipse and started
Debug on the Struts ActionServlet. I hit my break
pointes and lo and behold, the pages work. After some
trial and error, I can see that pages seem to fail
most of the time, but sometimes they work. In debug
with breakpoints they always seem to work.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can narrow this
down. I suppose I could go back to 4.1.12, but after
spending a couple of hours I would like to see it
work.

Thanks,

David Morris