Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2007/06/21 16:37:04 UTC

Comments on the release being voted - [VOTE] Release CXF 2.0-incubator

On 6/20/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> The staging area is at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0_incubator_take1/
>
> The distributions are in the "distributions" directory.
> The "maven2_repository" directory contains the stuff that will by pushed
> to the m2-incubating-repository.

I don't want to hijack the vote thread so here the finding goes.

I downloaded apache-cxf-2.0-incubator.zip and the name struck me. it
might've already been discussed, but according to "A Guide To Release
Management During Incubation (DRAFT)" [1]:

Naming:
Incubator policy insists that it must also contain incubating (though
small variations for the sake of readability are usually acceptable).

What's more confusing is the release_notes.txt file:

Apache CXF 2.0 (incubating) Release Notes

Shouldn't it be RELEASE-NOTES[.txt] (uppercase with no txt extension)?

Another issue is with the README file. It starts with the following sentence:

Welcome to Apache Incubator CXF!

and

Incubation Disclaimer

The package contains the following files in lib:

cxf-2.0-incubator.jar
cxf-manifest-incubator.jar

Shouldn't they be prefixed with "apache-"? The modules directory
contains similar-named files. Why is that?

Just a couple of heads-up from a CXF newcomer.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Comments on the release being voted - [VOTE] Release CXF 2.0-incubator

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/07, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:

> On 6/20/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The staging area is at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0_incubator_take1/
> >
> > The distributions are in the "distributions" directory.
> > The "maven2_repository" directory contains the stuff that will by pushed
> > to the m2-incubating-repository.
>
> I don't want to hijack the vote thread so here the finding goes.
>
> I downloaded apache-cxf-2.0-incubator.zip and the name struck me. it
> might've already been discussed, but according to "A Guide To Release
> Management During Incubation (DRAFT)" [1]:
>
> Naming:
> Incubator policy insists that it must also contain incubating (though
> small variations for the sake of readability are usually acceptable).

incubating or incubator are both possible in the name afaik.
There are precedents for both of them.

What's more confusing is the release_notes.txt file:

> Apache CXF 2.0 (incubating) Release Notes
>
> Shouldn't it be RELEASE-NOTES[.txt] (uppercase with no txt extension)?

This may be more consistent with the README, and others, but I don't think
this is a show stopper.

Another issue is with the README file. It starts with the following
> sentence:
>
> Welcome to Apache Incubator CXF!
>
> and
>
> Incubation Disclaimer

I've also seen both when refering to an incubating project.
I guess it would be better if the naming is consistent, but again
maybe these problems could be fixed for 2.0.1.

The package contains the following files in lib:

> cxf-2.0-incubator.jar
> cxf-manifest-incubator.jar
>
> Shouldn't they be prefixed with "apache-"? The modules directory
> contains similar-named files. Why is that?

I don't think so.  Usually apache is only added to the distribution zips /
tar.gzs,
but not to the libraries themselves.  I must say I haven't  seen any project
yet
prefixing all the jars by apache- ...

--
Cheers,