Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by gu...@lahitette.net on 2005/04/18 14:41:23 UTC

TC 4.1.26: heap not growing???

Hello Tomcat-oids,

We've been running performance tests against multiple applications on Tomcat 4.1.26. TC is run as a process on our Linux boxes and as a service on Windows. We've tuned heap sizes to -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.

Monitoring the JVM memory usage with a daemon thread calling Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() / totalMemory() / maxMemory(), we've noticed memory was never expanded beyond 512MB. Instead, when we were getting close to 512MB, we could see the garbage collector kick in. We never got OOM errors.

A workaround solution would be to set min = max = 1024MB. Before we do, I wanted to run it by you and ask for comments...

Cheers,
Guillaume