Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/09 06:08:55 UTC

[VOTE] Allow an MicroProfile-focused TomEE 7.1 release

For a few months we've discussed doing and not doing a TomEE 7 flavored release of MicroProfile 1.x for Java EE 7 users on Java 8, tentatively versioned TomEE 7.1.

Earliest email with TomEE 7.1 in the subject is around April, though I vaguely recall it mentioned before.  I recall seeing a request from Mark to wait on it till after 7.0.5 was released.  That's now out and a TomEE 7.1.x branch has been created and being actively worked on.

There seem to be concerns that this will draw attention away from TomEE 8, which is understandable, and some sentiment that this work should stop and everyone focus on TomEE 8.  I haven't seen anyone suggest not working on TomEE 8, so I'll assume that as a constant that doesn't need to be voted on.

As the concern is largely resources, I propose the following compromise:

 - MicroProfile related PRs that can possibly apply to TomEE 8 must be merged to master *before* the equivalent can be merged to TomEE 7.1.x. In short, everyone must work on TomEE 8.

 - Those who wish to focus time only on TomEE 8 may do so, someone else can merge the PR to 7.1.x if they have the energy.  In short, only the willing need work on TomEE 7.1.x

With this in mind, the vote:

  +1 Allow work on TomEE 7.1 to proceed with the above two conditions
 +-O Abstain or don't feel strongly
  -1 I have a better idea

-David

Re: [VOTE] Allow an MicroProfile-focused TomEE 7.1 release

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I don't think another thread is required, unless further discussion
(hopefully on the actual work, rather than whether to do it or not) is
needed. I think Alex's reading of the VOTE was valid, the concern are
valid, and the feedback is useful.

Jon

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gurkan,

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.

> we can focus entirely in TomEE 8.

+1
Gurkan

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+0.5

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Non-binding:

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Some notes: Committing to master MUST happen first. If folks want to port
to 7.1.x, they SHOULD NOT be prevented from doing so. Other work, such as
Java 11 support or other maintenance SHOULD NOT be blocked by TomEE 8 / MP
work.

Jon

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
+1 to start MP work on TomEE 8 master and then back port to the 7.1.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
+1

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1