Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/31 18:29:40 UTC

Moving CouchDB to Git

Dearest Devs,

A few months ago I did some work in preparing a solution to using Git
as a primary VCS at the ASF. Now that we have released 1.1.0 and 1.0.3
there's a bit of a lull in large events dealing with the code base. As
such I thought now would be a good time to propose the idea of moving
CouchDB to Git.

A few things on what this would mean for the community:

1. The SVN repository would no longer be the primary source for
CouchDB source code. It'll still exist for house keeping things like
the website and other bits.

2. For the time being there is no fancy integration with anything like
Gerrit. The initial phase of moving to Git will be to just test the
infrastructure aspects of the system to make sure its all configured
correctly and works reliably. This also applies to GitHub. There's no
magical "Pull request turns into JIRA ticket" or similar. GitHub will
remain as it is a currently, a read-only mirror in the GitHub
ecosystem.

3. There are a couple minor restrictions on our Git usage as required
by ASF policy. First, rewriting Git commits on master is prohibited. I
also added a feature that allows us to make branches that can't be
rewritten either in the interest of protecting release branches.
Currently, this is just a regular expression that matches
"(master)|(rel/*)" in the branch name. The second issue is that
there's always a possibility we have to revert to SVN if things break.
In this interest I've disabled inserting merge commits into those same
branches.

4. Before making the complete switch I'll end up making a handful of
Git clones to check that our history is preserved. I plan on writing a
script to make Graphviz images of the branch history and so on, but
having people volunteer to look back at the history to spot errors
would be helpful as well.

5. There are probably other things, but this is mostly to just kick
off serious discussion on making the switch.

Thoughts?

Paul

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
All good points, I think the counterargument is that it becomes rather difficult to rollback to svn after we do something as complicated as srcmv in git.  That being said, I'm +1 on git first, especially since the original srcmv instructions have probably suffered from some code rot at this point.

Adam

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Noah Slater <ap...@nslater.org>.
On 1 Aug 2011, at 23:28, Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 14:26, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Noah Slater <ap...@nslater.org> wrote:
>>> What does it do?
>>>

>> If by "it" you mean srcmv, it was the script to reorganize the source tree.
>>
>> If by "it" you mean Git, it makes coffee and walks the dogs.
>>

> Oh! I've been using it wrong.

Y U NO RTFM??!

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 14:14, Noah Slater <ap...@nslater.org> wrote:

> What does it do?

I think that's the script that Paul made that is designed to split
/src/couchdb into separate modules (breaking out the replicator and some
other bits away from the core).

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Noah Slater <ap...@nslater.org>.
What does it do?

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+1

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks Paul,

I'm in favour of getting this process started.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Benjamin Young <be...@couchone.com>.
On 7/31/11 10:29 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> Dearest Devs,
>
> A few months ago I did some work in preparing a solution to using Git
> as a primary VCS at the ASF. Now that we have released 1.1.0 and 1.0.3
> there's a bit of a lull in large events dealing with the code base. As
> such I thought now would be a good time to propose the idea of moving
> CouchDB to Git.
>
> A few things on what this would mean for the community:
>
> 1. The SVN repository would no longer be the primary source for
> CouchDB source code. It'll still exist for house keeping things like
> the website and other bits.
>
> 2. For the time being there is no fancy integration with anything like
> Gerrit. The initial phase of moving to Git will be to just test the
> infrastructure aspects of the system to make sure its all configured
> correctly and works reliably. This also applies to GitHub. There's no
> magical "Pull request turns into JIRA ticket" or similar. GitHub will
> remain as it is a currently, a read-only mirror in the GitHub
> ecosystem.
>
> 3. There are a couple minor restrictions on our Git usage as required
> by ASF policy. First, rewriting Git commits on master is prohibited. I
> also added a feature that allows us to make branches that can't be
> rewritten either in the interest of protecting release branches.
> Currently, this is just a regular expression that matches
> "(master)|(rel/*)" in the branch name. The second issue is that
> there's always a possibility we have to revert to SVN if things break.
> In this interest I've disabled inserting merge commits into those same
> branches.
>
> 4. Before making the complete switch I'll end up making a handful of
> Git clones to check that our history is preserved. I plan on writing a
> script to make Graphviz images of the branch history and so on, but
> having people volunteer to look back at the history to spot errors
> would be helpful as well.
>
> 5. There are probably other things, but this is mostly to just kick
> off serious discussion on making the switch.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Paul

+1 for moving to Git! I'm confident it would help lower the barrier to
entry for contributions, streamline the development process, and
hopefully improve turn around time on patches, etc--most of which come
from git anyway via Github.

I realize there's load of discussion to be had on how to make this
happen, but as a community member I'd love to see Apache CouchDB on Git
with the necessary SVN housekeeping (per the ASF policies) done "in the
background."

Thanks for bringing it up, Paul!
Benjamin
@bigbluehat

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sounds good to me. Should we do srcmv before or after this epoch?

I am undecided. I think executing srcmv would be easier on Git, but in
a worst case scenario reverting to SVN it would be easier if we had
done it in SVN.

I am open to either method. The srcmv script I wrote a long time ago
to handle the SVN commands to make it happen would need a lot of
cleaning up to handle it though.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving CouchDB to Git