Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Raymond Jennings III <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2009/11/19 17:24:19 UTC

Can I change the block size and then restart?

Can I just change the block size in the config and restart or do I have to reformat?  It's okay if what is currently in the file system stays at the old block size if that's possible ?

Re: Can I change the block size and then restart?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Raymond Jennings III
<ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can I just change the block size in the config and restart or do I have to reformat?  It's okay if what is currently in the file system stays at the old block size if that's possible ?

Raymond,

The block size is actually a per file setting. Each client can set its
own block size assuming unless you marked the variables as <final> in
your configuration.

Changing the value does not change current blocks, it only serves as
default for new blocks.

Edward