Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <dj...@apache.org> on 2004/10/28 08:56:12 UTC

Changes in ***-refs

I've recently committed fairly extensive changes to how ***-refs are
resolved at deployment time in geronimo, per GERONIMO-371.  Some
documentation is on the wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Naming

Here's a brief recap:

1. If your resource-ref has the same name (in the spec descriptor) as
the connection factory you are looking up, you can leave out the
resource-ref element in your geronimo plan entirely.
2. In your geronimo plan, resource-link now works more or less like an
ejb-link: you can supply a name or path#name and geronimo will try to
match, first in the current application, then in non-application
connector modules.
3. You can specify any subset of a jsr-77 name and geronimo will fill
in the rest to match your current context.
4. You can specify the whole name yourself using target-name.

note that the roles of target-name and resource-link are more or less
reversed from their previous and wrong meaning.

resource-env-refs work much the same way.

ejb-[local-]refs work similarly except ejb-links do not attempt to
resolve outside the current application.  ejb-link can be used in your
geronimo plan as well as the spec descriptor.  If you supply nothing in
your geronimo plan, geronimo attempts to resolve the ejb ref by looking
for a unique match on home and remote or localhome and local
interfaces.

So far these changes seem to result in a dramatic reduction in the size
of many plans.

many thanks,
david jencks

Re: Changes in ***-refs

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
Can you add some example xml to the wiki page?

thanks,

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom