Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/11/25 00:10:09 UTC

[collections][PROPOSAL] Remove Observable subpackage

I would like to propose that the observable subpackage of [collections] be
removed to another location. It remains a relatively self contained part of
[collections] following the recent restructuring, and has the potential to
grow with other event strategies and integration with GUIs such as Swing.
This makes it a relatively poor fit with the rest of [collections].

Either the sandbox, or sourceforge seem appropriate for the code. I know
there is demand for the code and a release, but I don't want to let it lie
unreleased in [collections] as primitives did for far too long.

So, whos in favour of removing it from [collections]?
And where to, sandbox (observable), sourceforge (joda-observable), or
elsewhere?

Stephen

Re: [collections][PROPOSAL] Remove Observable subpackage

Posted by Neil O'Toole <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net> wrote:
> I think it's a good idea to remove it.  At this point, [collections]
> is
> so big that I'm +1 for removing all that we can.  I frequently get
> OutOfMemoryExceptions when doing the maven build due to the size
> (from
> the statcvs and linkcheck plugins).
>
> Now as to where it should go, I always like the idea of doing it at
> Apache if possible.

Amen on that.

> Here's an idea:
>
> Perhaps it's time for collections to become a larger project which
> can
> contain subprojects.  I'm not sure if this is doable in Jakarta
> Commons,
> but maybe in top-level Jakarta or the newer Apache Commons?
>
> I realize that this is a semi-radical idea, but maybe it's worth
> considering?  At a minimum, I think it would provide the newer
> subprojects with more visibility and possible promote a more active
> community.

I think that's well worthy of consideration. Three [collections]
projects perhaps should entitle [collections] to it's own project
hierarchy, and I think it's vitally important to keep these projects
under the same roof rather than have them skulk off to the dark corners
of sourceforge where who knows what will become of them? ;)

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
I think it's a good idea to remove it.  At this point, [collections] is
so big that I'm +1 for removing all that we can.  I frequently get
OutOfMemoryExceptions when doing the maven build due to the size (from
the statcvs and linkcheck plugins).

Now as to where it should go, I always like the idea of doing it at
Apache if possible.

Here's an idea:

[collections] has already spawned off another subproject in
[primitives].  There is the alternative primitive collections (let's
call it [primitives2], I forget what the actual name is) that you have
at SourceForge, and now the possibility of [observable].  However, all
of these projects, in a way, still fall under the domain of [collections].

Perhaps it's time for collections to become a larger project which can
contain subprojects.  I'm not sure if this is doable in Jakarta Commons,
but maybe in top-level Jakarta or the newer Apache Commons?

All administrative burdens aside, this makes more sense to me.  The
current [collections] could become [collections-core], along with the
newer [collections-primitives] and [collections-observable].   This
would allow proper room to grow for each subproject -- while still
keeping related projects together.

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
True, but when the codebase is somewhat standalone (as observable and
primitives2 are), and the tests and scope are different, I think that a
heirachy of projects is worth considering, especially given the current
size of [collections].

When producing multiple jars, does it make sense to keep everything in
the same source tree?  I say no, for mostly organizational reasons, but
perhaps others see it differently...?

Posted by Neil O'Toole <ne...@users.sourceforge.net>.
I would very much like to have access to the sandbox for this. Lack of
access to the observable package in [collections] has certainly been an
obstacle and demotivating factor to integrating the
[notifyingcollections] features with the observable package in
[collections], something which has been on the long finger for too long
:) I also feel that Michael should be part of this sandbox project as
his contributions had a large part to play in getting the ball rolling
on these implementations - and certainly helped me improve the design
of the [notifyingcollections] implementation -, so I would think that
he should be considered one of the 3 developers required for a
subproject.

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@acm.org>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I was planning on allowing the broader scope, not just restricting to
collections. So [events] is quite a good name. I'll probably go with this
unless I hear a much better name.

Stephen

Posted by Neil O'Toole <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.