Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/17 09:26:47 UTC

Get VM OS type

Hello Folks

Is there a way to know whether the VM is running on Windows or Linux OS? I
can't reply on OS type because we can use Ubuntu as OS type for Windows VM.
Even though the os type is Linux/Ubuntu, the VM is running on Windows
version. Another way is to open the console and see the login screen. This
will get the actual data but I want to do automation to see for all VM's
and opening the console is not feasible to automate. Is there any other way
to get it?

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh Venkatesh

Re: Get VM OS type

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.
> @Riepl
> nmap -sS -O does help in fetching the OS type only if they have
> public ip. I cant ssh into the machines because they are customer
> machines and I dont have credentials for them.

We had such a situation a few times, and simply asked the affected
customer if they would permit us to deploy a temporary VM into their
network.

You could also use the virtual router as a gateway, but it doesn't have
nmap installed by default.

Re: Get VM OS type

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.

Re: Get VM OS type

Posted by Rakesh Venkatesh <ww...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your replies.

@Riepl
nmap -sS -O does help in fetching the OS type only if they have public ip.
I cant ssh into the machines because they are customer machines and I dont
have credentials for them.

@Nikolaos
ping didnt work for me all the time because few VM's have blocked ping and
in that case, there is no way of telling it. Also, the default TTL values
are outdated in that page. I got a response of 122 for windows vm

--
Thanks and regards
Rakesh venkatesh

Re: Get VM OS type