Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/10/18 10:35:45 UTC

question: would we like avalon split?

Hi All,

I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be getting
sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
(like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
kind of 'uber-project'.

Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
size and scope of the avalon project?

I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
figure out how broad the support for this is =)

There'd perhaps be

avalon.apache.org
phoenix.apache.org
logkit.apache.org
altrmi.apache.org

incubator.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon
graveyard.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon
commons.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon

along with probably different cvs repos, voting/access rights, web
pages, PMCs, etc.

but we'd maybe still keep the current mailing lists, ie not completely
dissolve the community. We might even end up with
java-framework-discussion@apache.org, if I understand correctly the
proposals on reog@apache.org.

cheers,

Leo

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

The same situation exists for the Merlin work.  In fact most of my
current time is focussed on dealing with CORBA based components using
Merlin as the activation/deployment model. In the case of Merlin the
lifecycle management is pluggable which means that in one scenario I may
be runing up a Avalon classic component, but in another scanerio I may
be deploying a CORBA service.  The relationship to Avalon is much more
about implemetation depedencies (as oopsed to application scope).

Charles Benett wrote:

> I think one of the problems with Avalon adoption is that the project
> is so broad that people get confused. So I am not convinced that
> Berin's proposal is good.
>
> I think it would be very useful to promote Phoenix to the same level
> as Avalon. If my understanding is correct, while Phoenix is built on
> Avalon, the applications hosted by a Phoenix server do not need to be
> Avalon based. So having Phoneix under Avalon just confuses things.
> (Witness Jakarta James).
>
> Charles
>

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Leo Simons wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be
>>> getting
>>> sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
>>> (like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
>>> conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
>>> kind of 'uber-project'.
>>>
>>> Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
>>> size and scope of the avalon project?
>>>
>>> I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
>>> avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
>>> figure out how broad the support for this is =)
>>>
>>> There'd perhaps be
>>>
>>> avalon.apache.org
>>> phoenix.apache.org
>>> logkit.apache.org

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be getting
> sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
> (like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
> conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
> kind of 'uber-project'.
>
> Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
> size and scope of the avalon project?
>
> I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
> avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
> figure out how broad the support for this is =)
>
> There'd perhaps be
>
> avalon.apache.org
> phoenix.apache.org
> logkit.apache.org
> altrmi.apache.org

*IF* we do this, I would like to see one

avalon.apache.org

and underneath it we would see

Framework
LogKit
Excalibur
Cornerstone
Phoenix

And all the Apps would be promoted to the Avalon.apache.org status

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be getting
>sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
>(like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
>conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
>kind of 'uber-project'.
>
>Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
>size and scope of the avalon project?
>
>I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
>avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
>figure out how broad the support for this is =)

I think we are overdue for some reorganization :-)

I've put together an outline of the Avalon projects below together with
a quick and dirty summary of the status as far as I am aware.  I would be
interested in filling out this list and getting a better idea of what's
dead, what's released, what active, what's dormant, what's already been
shifted over to commons ... i.e. to get a bettewr picture of where we are.
Please note that a "?" just means "I don't know what the current status
is"!

Maybe we can try to break out at least what is active versus what is
graveyard, together with separation of special cases.  That would help a
lot in getting an idea of the implication of a reorganization.

* avalon/framework               active/released
* avalon/logkit                  active/released
* avalon/testlet                 graveyard ?
* excalibur/altrmi               active
* excalibur/assembly             active
* excalibur/baxter               ?
* excalibur/cache                ?
* excalibur/cli                  ?
* excalibur/collections          ?
* excalibur/concurrent           ?
* excalibur/configuration        active/released
* excalibur/container            active
* excalibur/containerkit         ?
* excalibur/converter            ?
* excalibur/csframework          ?
* excalibur/datasource           ?
* excalibur/event                active
* excalibur/extension            active (comming up to a release
sometime soon?)
* excalibur/fortress             active (moving towards release)
* excalibur/i18n                 active/released
* excalibur/info                 active
* excalibur/instrument           active
* excalibur/instrument-client    active
* excalibur/instrument-server    active
* excalibur/interceptor          ?
* excalibur/io                   ?
* excalibur/jprocess             ?
* excalibur/loader               ?
* excalibur/logger               active/release
* excalibur/merlin               replaced by excalibur/assembly
* excalibur/meta                 active
* excalibur/monitor              ?
* excalibur/naming               ?
* excalibur/policy               ?
* excalibur/pool                 active/release
* excalibur/sourceresolve        ?
* excalibur/store                ?
* excalibur/tar                  ?
* excalibur/testcase             ?
* excalibur/thread               ?
* excalibur/threadcontext        ?
* excalibur/tools                ?
* excalibur/tweety               special case
* excalibur/util                 ?
* excalibur/xfc                  active
* excalibur/xmlbundle            ?
* excalibur/xmlutil              ?
* excalibur/zip                  ?
* avalon-apps/db                 ?
* avalon-apps/enterprise         active - candiate incubator project
* avalon-apps/ftpserver          ?
* avalon-apps/hsql               ?
* avalon-apps/httpproxy          ? (doc suggests this project is only a
demo)
* avalon-apps/infomover          special case
* avalon-apps/overlord           ?
* avalon-apps/phyre              ?
* avalon-apps/servak             active
* avalon-apps/simpleserver       ?
* avalon-apps/xcommander         ?
* phoenix                        active/release
* cornerstone/channels           ?
* cornerstone/connection         ?
* cornerstone/datasource         ?
* cornerstone/dom                ?
* cornerstone/masterstore        ?
* cornerstone/packet             ?
* cornerstone/rmification        ?
* cornerstone/sax                ?
* cornerstone/scheduler          ?
* cornerstone/security           ?
* cornerstone/soapification      ?
* cornerstone/sockets            active/release
* cornerstone/threads            active/release
* cornerstone/transport         ?

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Marc Schier <we...@earthlink.net>.
> > Then Avalon would be left with threee things. Client API for components
(aka
> > Framework), Containers for Client API (aka Fortress/Phoenix/Merlin) and
some
> > Services (though I am not sure whether these belong in another project
or in
> > commons or what).
>
> The Turbine folks, who are now moving steadily to Avalon based as you
> know, have showed interest in a repository for Avalon Components.

IMO The repository idea is especially important for COP.  The nice thing
about COP is that you can use a lot of things that were already done in your
work.  Putting Avalon components in Commons is I think a mistake, since no
one looking for a specific component to do a job will go through the work
seperating non-components and utilities from the actual component
implementations.  It might hinder the adoption of the framework.  I know,
same applies currently to Excalibur, and that's why the utilities (io,
concurrent, collections and so on) should go into commons.

> For me it's
>    avalon-services.apache.org
>
>   or
>    services.apache.org
>
>   or simply in
>    commons.apache.org

As I said, I don't think it's a good place there.

> NOTE:
>
>    IIUC commons.apache.org  has been voted
>
>    incubator.apache.org has also been voted successfully
>
> > At times I have thought that moving Phoenix+Cornerstone+Apps to a new
project
> > would be a good thing and then at other times I hate the idea so ... ;)

A good idea IMO would also be to merge cornerstone and maybe apps with
excalibur to form a service repository, maybe under the name of cornerstone,
or Excalibur, or 'services'.  All these projects are component repositiories
anyway already.

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:17, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Then Avalon would be left with threee things. Client API for components
> > (aka Framework), Containers for Client API (aka Fortress/Phoenix/Merlin)
> > and some Services (though I am not sure whether these belong in another
> > project or in commons or what).
>
> The Turbine folks, who are now moving steadily to Avalon based as you
> know, have showed interest in a repository for Avalon Components.

That would be kool.

>    IIUC commons.apache.org  has been voted

And I am involved so if you have any request feel free to prod me or else come
join general@commons.apache.org

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Murphy's law - "Anything that can go wrong, will."
(Actually, this is Finagle's law, which in itself
shows that Finagle was right.)

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:35, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
>>size and scope of the avalon project?
>>
>>I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
>>avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
>>figure out how broad the support for this is =)
>>
>>There'd perhaps be
>>
>>avalon.apache.org
>>phoenix.apache.org
>>logkit.apache.org
>>altrmi.apache.org
>

> Personally I would like to see testlet and some of the excalibur stuff go to
> the graveyard. LogKit be promoted and large chunks of excalibur moved to
> commons.apache.org or incubator.

+1

> Then Avalon would be left with threee things. Client API for components (aka
> Framework), Containers for Client API (aka Fortress/Phoenix/Merlin) and some
> Services (though I am not sure whether these belong in another project or in
> commons or what).

The Turbine folks, who are now moving steadily to Avalon based as you
know, have showed interest in a repository for Avalon Components.

For me it's
   avalon-services.apache.org

  or
   services.apache.org

  or simply in
   commons.apache.org

NOTE:

   IIUC commons.apache.org  has been voted

   incubator.apache.org has also been voted successfully

> At times I have thought that moving Phoenix+Cornerstone+Apps to a new project
> would be a good thing and then at other times I hate the idea so ... ;)
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might
> be getting sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of
> larger-scale reorg (like moving projects out of jakarta all
> the way to the top conceptually), which are also especially
> relevant to avalon as it is a kind of 'uber-project'.
>
> Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors
> like the size and scope of the avalon project?

No.

> avalon.apache.org
> phoenix.apache.org
> logkit.apache.org
> altrmi.apache.org

OK. I'm fine with the above, and I'm sure we can hammer out a
good structure (what projects go top-level, etc.). Bu the real
brilliance is in:

> incubator.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon
> graveyard.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon

YES! +one million. Finally, an end to the continuous spawning
of subprojects.

> commons.apache.org/lots-of-stuff-now-at-avalon

+1

> along with probably different cvs repos, voting/access
> rights, web pages, PMCs, etc.
>
> but we'd maybe still keep the current mailing lists, ie not
> completely dissolve the community. We might even end up with
> java-framework-discussion@apache.org, if I understand
> correctly the proposals on reog@apache.org.

That's OK.

/LS

Re: question: would we like avalon split?

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 04:35  AM, Leo Simons wrote:
> I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be
> getting
> sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
> (like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
> conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
> kind of 'uber-project'.

thanks for bringing this up here. the discussion on the reorg list has
been increasing at a dizzying rate!

> Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
> size and scope of the avalon project?

its okay (ie kinda-world). more manageable chunks would be excellent
though.

> I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
> avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
> figure out how broad the support for this is =)

+1

My concern is with excalibur. Yes, there is a LOT of stuff in there
that should be in a commons. I believe the jakarta-commons has, in the
past, rejected the notion of having the avalon-framework jar in their
cvs or tied to one of the commons projects (with the notion of wanting
commons projects to be dependency free, but that seems to have fallen
by the wayside somewhat now since everyone wants logging :)

> along with probably different cvs repos, voting/access rights, web
> pages, PMCs, etc.

a "real" PMC, more akin to httpd than jakarta's...

> but we'd maybe still keep the current mailing lists, ie not completely
> dissolve the community. We might even end up with
> java-framework-discussion@apache.org, if I understand correctly the
> proposals on reog@apache.org.

yup, that is one of the proposals.. "if you won't cooperate, at least
share the same playground".
-pete
--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org