Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Jim.Musil" <Ji...@target.com> on 2015/05/21 17:06:11 UTC

Clarification on Collections API for 5.x

Hi,

In the guide for moving from Solr 4.x to 5.x, it states the following:

"Solr 5.0 only supports creating and removing SolrCloud collections through the Collections API<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API>, unlike previous versions. While not using the collections API may still work in 5.0, it is unsupported, not recommended, and the behavior will change in a 5.x release."

Currently, we launch several solr nodes with identical cores defined using the new Core Discovery process. These nodes are also connected to a zookeeper ensemble. Part of the core definition is to set the configSet to use. This configSet is uploaded to zookeeper separately. This effectively creates a Collection.

Is this method no long supported in 5.x?

Thanks!
Jim Musil

Re: Clarification on Collections API for 5.x

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
One driving reason behind making such a statement in the upgrade note was
that at some point in the 5.x line, we want to move to a "Zookeeper state
as truth" mode where only the state inside ZK is considered as truth
regardless of the local state of a node. Such a move will break back-compat
(e.g. the way you are setting up your cluster) which is something we
typically do only for major version releases (6.0) so we put in the warning
so that we have a free rein on making such a change.

This new mode is important because otherwise, say I delete a collection but
a node having a replica of that collection was down and when the node comes
back up, I shouldn't see a collection that I had already deleted in my
cluster again. This is a very odd behavior from a user's perspective but
from Solr's perspective it is indistinguishable from creating a collection
using core discovery. There are many such related issues.

This is why I urge you to reconsider and stick to using the Collection API
only.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Jim.Musil <Ji...@target.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification!
>
> On 5/27/15, 12:00 PM, "Erick Erickson" <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Are you defining shard and replicas here? Or is this just a
> >single-node collection? In any case, this seems unnecessary. You'd get
> >the same thing by having your uploading the config set to ZK, then
> >just issuing a Collections CREATE command, specifying the node to use
> >if desired.
> >
> >What you're doing _should_ work, because essentially that's what start
> >up does. It finds cores somewhere below SOLR_HOME and reads the
> >core.properties file. When it finds parameters like collection, shard,
> >coreNodeName, numShards, all that stuff it figures things out. But,
> >you have to get all this right manually with the process you're using
> >now, why take the risk? Besides, in the future you'll have to adapt to
> >any back-compat breaks...
> >
> >Best,
> >Erick
> >
> >On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Jim.Musil <Ji...@target.com> wrote:
> >> bump

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Clarification on Collections API for 5.x

Posted by "Jim.Musil" <Ji...@target.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jim.Musil" <Ji...@target.com>.
bump