Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/11 18:47:24 UTC

How are 'PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES' and 'VIRTUAL_MEMORY_BYTES' calculated?

Hello,

I am wondering how memory counters  'PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES'  and
'VIRTUAL_MEMORY_BYTES'  are calculated? They are peaks of memory usage or
cumulative usage?

Thanks for help,

Re: How are 'PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES' and 'VIRTUAL_MEMORY_BYTES' calculated?

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
The snapshotting stops much before the actual JVM exits - when a map/reduce task is deemed done, the metric collection stops. The JVM exits a little later.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
No, every so often, 3 seconds IIRC, it capture pmem and vmem which corresponds to the usage of the process and its children at *that* specific point of time. Cumulative = cumulative across the process and its children.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop qi <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
They are the running metrics. While the task is running, they will tell you how much pmem/vmem it is using at that point of time. Obviously at the end of job, it will be the last snapshot.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.