Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tom Kralidis <to...@hotmail.com> on 2001/01/07 00:53:53 UTC

mod_perl / SSI conflict?

Hi,

I am running Apache 1.3.14 w/ mod_perl 1.24 on a Linux RedHat 6.2 machine.

I have recently began to implement mod_perl to some of my content.

As per "Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C" book, I wrote a footer for
each page, with the following directive in httpd.conf:

   <Files ~ "\.html?$">
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Footer
   </Files>

This puts the footer nicely to all files .htm or .html

However, I have a few .shtml pages as part of my site, which have worked
with no errors.  After making this change:

   <Files ~ "\.s?html?$">
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Footer
   </Files>

..I imagined that .shtml files would show a footer at the bottom of pages.

However, what I found is that, for the .shtml pages, while the mod_perl
footer works with no errors, the SSI does not work at all, and I can't find
anything strange regarding this in error_log.

Has anyone had any similar problem?  Any advice / workarounds, etc. would be
valued.

Thanks alot

..Tom

Re: mod_perl / SSI conflict?

Posted by Andrew Ho <an...@tellme.com>.
Tom,

TK>This puts the footer nicely to all files .htm or .html
TK>However, I have a few .shtml pages as part of my site, which have worked
TK>with no errors.  After making this change:
TK>
TK>   <Files ~ "\.s?html?$">
TK>    SetHandler perl-script
TK>    PerlHandler Apache::Footer
TK>   </Files>
TK>
TK>..I imagined that .shtml files would show a footer at the bottom of pages.
TK>
TK>However, what I found is that, for the .shtml pages, while the mod_perl
TK>footer works with no errors, the SSI does not work at all, and I can't find
TK>anything strange regarding this in error_log.

The regular SSI mechanism (through mod_include) won't work with mod_perl,
e.g. you don't get mod_perl output run through SSI out of the box.
Basically, you've told Apache that .shtml files are now to be processed by
a mod_perl PerlHandler, NOT by mod_include. So naturally your SSI is not
showing up in the output.

There are a couple workarounds; see the documentation for Apache::SSI (you
can find it from CPAN) for more information/references.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101