Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jon Yeargers <jo...@cedexis.com> on 2017/01/07 15:48:30 UTC

What to do when it won't rebalance "properly"

Have been messing about with Kubernetes on google-cloud. Launched a pod
with 6 consumer nodes and watched the lag using 'kafka-topics ..
--new-consumer --describe'. Topic has assigned all (12 in this case) nodes
to the same consumer while the other 5 are sitting idle.

This has been the case for ~20 minutes now. No apparent change forthcoming.

I even tried killing the one consumer to see if it would trigger a "proper"
rebalance. Nope. It went back and assigned everyone to another (single)
consumer.

Using 0.10.2.0-SNAPSHOT - latest from trunk

(also tried with 0.10.1.0)

Re: What to do when it won't rebalance "properly"

Posted by Jon Yeargers <jo...@cedexis.com>.
Along these same lines - I have a topic with a single consumer. When I try
to look at lag ("kafka-topics .. --group ... --describe") I get the message
"Consumer group <group name> is rebalancing"

This continues in perpetuity despite stop/(re)start the consumer and cycle
all (3) brokers.