Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Varun kumar <va...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/07 07:35:37 UTC

HBase setting up issue

Hi Ted,

My mvn version

$ mvn --version
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 02:44:56-0600)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.0.4
Java version: 1.6.0_26, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.0.0-12-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

step 2
$ svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hbase/trunk hbase

step3
Under the workspace
mvn clean package -DskipTests

Build was successful

step 3

mvn eclipse:eclipse

ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project hbase-server: Could not resolve
dependencies for project org.apache.hbase:hbase-server:jar:0.95-SNAPSHOT:
Failure to find org.apache.hbase:hbase-common:jar:0.95-SNAPSHOT in
http://repository-netty.forge.cloudbees.com/snapshot/ was cached in the
local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update
interval of cloudbees netty has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

I also  used Maven Eclipse plugin and ran the maven-generate sources
command from eclipse
I get the same error !

Could you please help me on this .

Atleast could you  provide a brief outline of the checking out and
compilation process..It would really help me out !
I initially followed the procedure on
http://michaelmorello.blogspot.com/2011/09/hbase-subversion-eclipse-windows.html

I am working under a professor at  UTD  trying to learn HBase. I have been
installing uninstalling and getting struck at the initial step ! :(

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Varun

Re: HBase setting up issue

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
> Now the instructions in http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#ides has put me
> in a state of confusion. Will the command line method still work ?

Yes, the command line method will still work.
However, as of Eclipse Indigo (the previous version of Eclipse) there has
been built-in maven integration. Before that, you could integrate eclipse
with maven via the m2eclipse plugin. If you have Indigo or Juno or
installed m2eclipse, you can just import the project as a 'Maven Project'
by File->Import...Maven->Existing Maven Projects and then just select the
/hbase directory and it will find all the submodules and import them.

That make sense?

-Jesse
-------------------
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com

Re: HBase setting up issue

Posted by Varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesse,

Thank you !

Initially I was using Maven2 and compiling the code. That was my mistake.
Later I was using the mvn clean package -DskipTests command and that was my
next mistake !

Finally I re-ran as per your suggestion. BUILD was successful.
But I was not clear on importing the .project file as stated in this site
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#ides into eclipse.

In the intial post of Michael Morello,
http://michaelmorello.blogspot.com/2011/09/hbase-subversion-eclipse-windows.html

there is a update as follows

*Update : please note that since
HBase-4336<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4336>/ HBase
0.96 the source tree is split in more than one Maven module this
post is no more relevant, i have created a new post on this subject :
http://michaelmorello.blogspot.fr/2012/06/hbase-096-eclipse-maven.html*

As per his next post
http://michaelmorello.blogspot.com/2012/06/hbase-096-eclipse-maven.html

I was able to run the Hbase compilation successfully !

Now the instructions in http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#ides has put me
in a state of confusion. Will the command line method still work ?

I am newbie, so I trying to learn HBase thoroughly ! Maven2  usage was the
pitfall !
Thanks for your inputs .It really helped me to understand my errors !

Varun

Re: HBase setting up issue

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.

> step3
> Under the workspace
> mvn clean package -DskipTests
>
> Build was successful

You need to run 'mvn install -DskipTests' rather than package - its (one of
many) shortcomings of maven and multi-module projects.

Also, if you are using eclipse, you can just import the project directly
into eclipse as a maven project. See "15.2.1.4. HBase Project Setup in
Eclipse"  in the reference guide: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#ides

-Jesse

Fwd: HBase setting up issue