Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by abhi Abhishek <ab...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/12 14:10:50 UTC

SOLR Upgrade 3.x to 4.10

Hi All,
    I have SOLR 3.6 running currently, i am planning to upgrade this to
SOLR 4.10. Below were the thoughts we could come up with.

1. in place upgrade
       I would be making the SOLR 4.10 slave of 3.6 and copy the indexes,
and optimize this index.

      will optimizing the Lucene 3.3 index on SOLR 4 instance(with Lucene
4.10) change the index structure to Lucene 4.10? if not what would be the
version?
      if i enable docvalues on certain fields before issuing optimize, will
it be able to incorporate ( create .dvd & .dvm files ) that in the newly
created index?

2. Re-Index the data

Seeking advice for minimum time to upgrade this with most features of SOLR
4.10

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards,
Abhishek

Re: SOLR Upgrade 3.x to 4.10

Posted by abhi Abhishek <ab...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erick and Shawn for the input. it makes more sense to move to SOLR
5.x but we would like to get there in few iterations gradually making
incremental changes to have a smooth cut over.

our index size is 3TB (10 shards of 300G each), i was looking for a
alternate route which would save me from pain of re-indexing. any thoughts
for the same would help.

Best Regards,
Abhishek

Re: SOLR Upgrade 3.x to 4.10

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: SOLR Upgrade 3.x to 4.10

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I would always re-index if possible, it's more certain than upgrading
the indexes. It's "not possible" when it takes very long....

And why go for 4.10 rather than 5.5 (Note, 5.5.1 will be out Real Soon
Now). If you can re-index, I'd really think about upgrading to 5.5.1
and going from there.

Best,
Erick