Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by damali ayo <he...@damaliayo.com> on 2012/12/03 20:55:57 UTC

ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Hello Forum,

I have been chugging along on a 300 page manuscript in Open Office. I
brought it into OO from an old (I mean old) version of word. All was
going well until a few minutes ago when OO seemed to be reading my
document very strangely. The header disappeared, the endnotes
half-disappeared, and when I click on a number in the text for a
note, it takes me to the note at the end but then others are missing.
I have no idea what happened or why. When I open the document anew it
positions me somewhere in the middle of it.

I have the sense that it's a viewing issue, and the file isn't
actually screwed up...at least I hope so. I have no other way of
opening it though.

I quit OO, restarted my computer, and no changes.
It's slightly terrifying. I've been working on this book for over a
year. Any help would be angelic, truly.

Details:

Involved participants:
Mac OS 10.5.8
Microsoft word v.X for mac (yes i need an entirely new computer, I know)
OpenOffice 3

Thank you!!
--

damali ayo

~ a garden of stories and a cup of tea ~
Please pay me a visit at a fresh new web site:
http://damaliayo.com

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
      You mentioned that it is an old Mac. Two possibilities that occur
to me: the hard drive may need to be replaced,  the RAM may need
replacing, or perhaps both.

--Dan

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
That's been my experience as well. I know a lot of programs tout Word
compatibility, but I've found that compatibility is an elusive feature. When
possible, I'll distill a file down to a plain .txt file to transfer from one
program to another. Of course, I lose all formatting, footnotes and
endnotes, which may not be acceptable. But, I've never been able to cleanly
convert a .doc file into a perfectly formatted .odt file. Something always
gets in the way.

Virgil

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 04/12/2012 14:39, Rory O'Farrell a écrit :
> I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents, footnotes, endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I regularly edit and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part (I don't mention goofiness as applied to myself - "Nemo judex in sua causa"[the reference is Coke, in Dr Bonham's case, if anyone is interested.

+1.
At work, I use .odt files above 3MB with more than 200 to 500 tables and more than 50 pics (embedded) and have never had any problem (under W2k, then Vista and XP now). The files are sometimes opened throughout the whole day (2 of them, sometimes more but for less than half an hour usually).
But I never use .doc or imported .doc with AOO and use styles as much as possible.

Hagar

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:34:18 +0100
Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 04.12.2012 18:21, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:24:26 -0600
> > James Plante <ji...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > In OpenOffice /Tools /Options (/Options is under Preferences on a Mac) in the OpenOffice/rg:Memory section there are adjustments for various memory settings.  Some of these are for graphics, but there is a main setting which (from memory) is 256MB for OpenOffice itself.
>
> You aren't right. This setting is only for graphics.

Very frequently unstable files contain graphics, about which one may or may not have been informed, so a first step towards remedying instability is to increase this setting, if it will allow.  I have a vague memory that it would not take an inserted value on some operating systems (Windows?), but had to be increased using the spin buttons.  Also worth changing is the number of Undo steps on the same page: can anyone remember the last hundred?  So 10 or 20 seems a more realistic setting for that.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
James Plante <ji...@me.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > Just for badness, I once created an OpenOffice document of 22K+ pages (yes, over 22,000 pages), of plain text.  I can't remember how many copies of War and Peace it was, but it could be edited and saved, although so slow as to be effectively unuseable.
> >
> > I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents, footnotes, endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I regularly edit and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part
>
> Rory, thanks for that info. That tells me that my goofiness problem may be system-related. I'm on a Mac, so it may have nothing to do with the AOO code itself. That yours worked, even miserably slowly, tells me I've got a different problem than I thought I had. It's still above my pay grade to fix it, though. :-(

In OpenOffice /Tools /Options (/Options is under Preferences on a Mac) in the OpenOffice/rg:Memory section there are adjustments for various memory settings.  Some of these are for graphics, but there is a main setting which (from memory) is 256MB for OpenOffice itself.  Increase this to 512 MB( Max allowable?) and restart OpenOffice, including any quickstarter.  It is frequently best to close OO and restart the computer to be certain this setting takes.  Most Volunteers on the Forum will have made this change so long ago that we forget to recommend it.

As an aside: ought not this memory allocation be increased in future releases of AOO; 256/512 MB used be ample, but with 8/16GB machines, perhaps the memory management of AOO needs revision.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
I have never adjusted the memory settings in over ten years of using OO. I
just checked and my current memory for OO itself is set at 20 mg. I've never
experienced performance problems with the program, so I'm not going to
change anything right now.

But, what is the downside to increasing this number? Does it affect the
ability of other programs to run?

Virgil

> In OpenOffice /Tools /Options (/Options is under Preferences on a
> Mac) in the OpenOffice/rg:Memory section there are adjustments for
> various memory settings.  Some of these are for graphics, but there
> is a main setting which (from memory) is 256MB for OpenOffice itself.
> Increase this to 512 MB( Max allowable?) and restart OpenOffice,
> including any quickstarter.  It is frequently best to close OO and
> restart the computer to be certain this setting takes.  Most
> Volunteers on the Forum will have made this change so long ago that
> we forget to recommend it.

Rory;

On my Windows XPsp3 system running AOO 3.4.1 the setting for Use for
OpenOffice.org is under Graphics Cache and max's out at 256 you can
highlight it and overwrite it, but it does not take.

Keith N. McKenna

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:24:26 -0600 James Plante <ji...@me.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 4, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

<snip>

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote,

>Just for badness, I once created an OpenOffice document of 22K+ pages (yes,
>over 22,000 pages), of plain text.  I can't remember how many copies of War
>and Peace it was, but it could be edited and saved, although so slow as to
>be effectively unuseable.

>I have two documents of formatted text, linked Table of Contents,
>footnotes, endnotes and hyperlinks, each of well over 200 pages, which I
>regularly edit and expand, without trace of any goofiness on their part (I
>don't mention goofiness as applied to myself - "Nemo judex in sua
>causa"[the reference is Coke, in Dr Bonham's case, if anyone is interested.

That helps support my belief that the problem may lie in trying to convert
and share documents from different WP formats rather than in in AOO itself.
I also wasn't aware of the cross-reference issues when using master
documents. It's a good tidbit to know before one commits to using multiple
files with master documents.

Virgil

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 12/04/12 02:36, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 4/12/2012 5:56 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:

>>> Is what you ask is a standard for an unstructured input?
>>> OpenOffice can deal with large files if you understand the concept of Styles.
>> I'm not familiar enough with styles to answer that for certain, but what I'm
>> talking about has nothing to do with the size of the file.  I'm talking about
>> a collection of files which together comprise the total document, as if
>> concatenated end-to-end.  e.g. toc.odt, contents.odt, chapter1.odt,... index.odt.
>> book.odt says it's made up of those files in that order.
>>
> That's exactly what OpenOffice can do when you take the effort to learn / understand how to work with Styles
> The Help file says this about Cross-references:
>
> The advantage of entering a cross-reference as a field is that you do */not have to adjust the references manually/* every time you change the document. Just update the fields with F9 and the references in the document are updated too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Abiword may help (not sure if there is a version for Mac).
Else, can you upload the file somewhere (not sure the list allows attachments)? You can make a small file if you manage to keep that behavior. You can attach files (128kB max) in the forum. Else, mediafire.com is a good one.

Hagar

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues

Posted by damali ayo <he...@damaliayo.com>.

Re: ack! Mac Viewing Issues