Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2021/05/04 07:45:36 UTC

Comdev web pages for our communities of interests?

Hi,

Recent discussions around a website for our projects which are in the
healthcare "space" make me think that it would be useful to provide a
space for such "project groups" which share common goals.

How about providing web pages, under the oversight of the Comdev PMC,
for such things?

We could have community.apache.org/c/healthcare,
community.apache.org/c/osgi, community.apache.org/c/buildtools, etc.,
reserving community.apache.org/c as the root for that (as in
"communities").

Our website is very easy to manage, see
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site, it should be easy for
interested people to provide pull requests for those pages.

The advantage compared to individual websites such as
healthcare.apache.org (as discussed in another thread here) is that
it's very easy to create a new page under community.apache.org/c and
the Comdev PMC stays in charge in case such pages become stale or
orphaned over time.

These communities can then request other resources such as mailing
lists if desired, using https://selfserve.apache.org/ in most cases,
those pages are only meant to be used as homepages, with a description
of the corresponding community and links to the interested projects
and other places of interest.

What do people think?

-Bertrand

Re: Comdev web pages for our communities of interests?

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
Greg,

The healthcare@apache.org request (selfservice) has been my fault, I have
asked a PMC Chair to create the list. I apologize, I thought it was
something proposed to create and to begin with.

--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh
GitHub: github.com/javiroman
Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 09:45:36AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recent discussions around a website for our projects which are in the
> healthcare "space" make me think that it would be useful to provide a
> space for such "project groups" which share common goals.
>
> How about providing web pages, under the oversight of the Comdev PMC,
> for such things?
>
> We could have community.apache.org/c/healthcare,
> community.apache.org/c/osgi, community.apache.org/c/buildtools, etc.,
> reserving community.apache.org/c as the root for that (as in
> "communities").

From an Infrastructure perspective, this is basically your only
option.  Communities/PMCs only get one website/hostname for their
activities -- community.apache.org in this case.

An additional hostname is provided if the PMC requests a VM.
Typically, we provide up to one VM per PMC, but there are exceptions
(for example: I think that ComDev has more than one, and I know AOO
has several).

The basic reason is ownership. Infra and the world know who is
represented by community.a.o ... but creating something like
healthcare.a.o does not lead to an obvious owner.

requested. Infra has deleted that request. Please keep requests within
the @community space.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: Comdev web pages for our communities of interests?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 12:10 AM Daniel Ruggeri <da...@bitnebula.com> wrote:
> I am reminded that projects.apache.org has metadata classifications as well. Perhaps using that data more effectively could be another option? ..

I think projects.a.o is really about metadata - it could include links
to a project's communities of interests once those are created, but
for the communities homepages I think community.apache.org/c/ is
better, especially as it's very easy to manage.

I have now prepared a proposal on the wiki, will point to it in a new thread.

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <da...@bitnebula.com>.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.