Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Detlef Schulze <d....@iliuk.com> on 2006/05/05 11:04:11 UTC

Migration to Tapestry

Hi,

the company I work for has a quite large application which is based on
jboss/tomcat and that uses a homegrown framework for the webpart
(dispatcher servlet that follows the model 2 servlet approach with
velocity as templating engine for the html).

The dispatcher servlet does quite a lot in terms of
authentication/authorization.

It now has been decided that we want to use tapestry for the webpart.

Since the application is quite large, we figured out that it is simply
not possible to do a "hard" migration and migrate everything to
tapestry. Therefore it is my task to find out if it is feasible for us
to simply add tapestry to the application and to use it for all new
features/pages that will be added to the application. The first thing
that should be done with tapestry is the administration part for jBPM,
that will be integrated soon.

I have experience with tapestry 3 (I am the only one on the team that
has experience with tapestry) but I never had to work on an application
that uses tapestry in addition to an old fashioned dispatcher servlet
solution.

Two problems come to my mind: session handling (the user definitely
don't want to log in twice) and authentication/authorization (which
includes LDAP authentication) which must be integrated. Once the user is
logged in, the transition from the velocity pages to the tapestry part
must be transparent.

I may have overlooked a whole bunch of other issues, but the basic
question is: has anybody done something similar? What other issues do I
have overlooked and how could they be solved?

Thanks for any hint or tip ...

Cheers,
Detlef

Re: Migration to Tapestry

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/06, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have mentioned that our homegrown framework is EJB and jsp's.
> Would there be any issue with tapestry accessing the EJB's.  I'm used to
> hibernate but  I don't see it working in this project mainly because of
> the
> large database size, and the fact that keeping hibernate in sync with any
> changes to the database that I don't have control over would be
> frustrating.

I'm not sure to understand your issue with hibernate... Hibernate will keep
in sync data the way you configure it.
We just implemented a 150 tables (with billions of rows) app with
hibernate... The learning curve is more than step though but there is hardly
anything you can't achieve with hibernate.
Anyway this shouldn't have any impact with your tapestry integration...
Tapestry is not tied to any data layer.
I just mentioned Spring because it has built-in mecanisms to share data
accross servlets and filters.

Henri.

Re: Migration to Tapestry

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.