Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alexandra <ja...@internetvillages.net> on 2000/04/26 08:06:16 UTC

Ruuning James Mail for the first time.

Dear All

I encounter the following problem when I tried to run the james mail
for =
the first time.  Any idea on how to fix this or do I miss any =
configuration.

C:\jmail\bin>run
Avalon runner
parser            : org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
configurationPath : ../conf/
logFile           : ../logs/avalon.log
libPath           : ../lib/
blockPath         : ./blocks/

Scanning jars for new Blocks...
  Found new jar: Avalon.jar
  Installing Avalon configuration file into ../conf/ from template

  Found new jar: JAMES.jar
  Installing JAMES configuration file into ../conf/ from template

Templates installed in ../conf/
If you need to fill templates with values or overwrite default you can =
do it now
 and then press then Enter to continue

Reading configuration
Avalon 2.2-dev

2000.04.24 10:12:07 993 Channel default opened

The screen just hangs here, and nothing happen. I am wating for the =
Avalon server is running message, but no message come out.

-Scott

Re: Ruuning James Mail for the first time.

Posted by B E N <be...@yahoo.com>.
Did you restart JAMES after the changed settings (DNS / RemoteAdmin
password)? If not please do so! (Just close the running "unable-to-be-closed
DOS terminal" and run the run.bat again) Try connecting with telnet again,
this time create some users (Get help on detail instructions by typing HELP
in the telnet session). When you're done creating users, its time to
configure your email client (MSOutlook Express)

p/s: Bring up command prompt & type "netstat -a" to check whether
SMTP/POP3/RemoteAdmin is running. You will see each entries associated with
its port running.

Good luck!

ben

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by B E N <be...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Alexandra,
    Use telnet to connect to RemoteAdmin (ip:127.0.0.1 port:4555), but
before connecting to it you need to edit JAMES.conf.xml (set the password
for RemoteAdmin) Note: Pay no attention to the first part of the file as it
is only a remark. The right place to change your password is in line 158
 actual line: <account login="root" password=""/>), between the tag
<remoteManager> & </remoteManager>  Restart James after changing your
password.

Good luck!

ben

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Anything is possible - but no-one else has this issue!

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Re: Help! (was: RE: Ruuning James Mail for the first time.)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/27/01 2:14 PM, "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk> wrote:

> Can someone stop this!?

Ok, I unsubscribed the user. Now I'm getting all their moderation emails,
but I can deal with it...

-jon

Help! (was: RE: Ruuning James Mail for the first time.)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Can someone stop this!?

Posted by Brian Long <bl...@randomwalk.com>.
um mine does that when it's *working*.
-bml

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
that *IS* what it does :-o
I checked.
you configured it when prompted right?
did you telnet to port 25 or 110 or 4555 successfully?
am I talking to a brick wall?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
same question twice in a row, thats what it does. telnet to port 25 or 110
to confirm