Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by /dev /local/ca <de...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/03 20:46:41 UTC

Is it possible to run Hadoop on Windows 10 Pro x64 (AMD) - if so , how ?

*Greetings:*

Are any Hadoop developers working/running on Windows 10 Pro x64 (AMD)?

If so, how did you get Hadoop to work/run?

---
I am told that to run on Windows 10 Pro x64, that I need to set:
1. HADOOP_HOME  ( I set to C:\hadoop)
2. create %HADOOP_HOME%/bin
3. and put two files in there (hadoop.dll, winutils.exe)

and to put %HADOOP_HOME%/bin in my path.

I searched and found hadoop.dll and winutils.exe here:
https://github.com/cdarlint/winutils

but when I tried using 3.2.1 , I get (when running)

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\hadoop\bin\winutils.exe":
CreateProcess error=216, This version of %1 is not compatible with the
version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information
and then contact the software publisher

---
I tried following the instructions for compiling hadoop.dll and
winutils.exe, but it is simply not humanly possible.  If so, try it, follow
the instructions and you will see.

---
I want to ask if anyone has, or knows where i can get ;   hadoop.dll and
winutils.exe or can please help me compile.

I have Windows 10 Pro with cygwin installed.  I do not want to install
anything else beyond this as it super craps out my machine when I install
any developer tool or IDE from Microsoft.

I would like to be able to compile this under cygwin, a clear path to do
this is just not documented there.

---
I needed to get Hadoop on Windows up and running a month ago, I am way
behind and the project is in jeopardy.

So Jesus please, if anyone is doing this (compiling), please let me know.

---
Also can we all please lobby for there to be a /binaries/win/3.2.1/*
directory somewhere, these can be downloaded.  Many thousands of people,
beyond myself, are having problems with this each and every day.

Every place I go, Windows 10 Pro x64 (increasingly AMD) is predominately on
the desk for development use (some macs here and there)

thank you,

Re: Is it possible to run Hadoop on Windows 10 Pro x64 (AMD) - if so , how ?

Posted by /dev /local/ca <de...@gmail.com>.
I tried that, did you try that? did you get it working?

With that google search, I did not find hadoop.dll and winutils.exe that
would work on Windows 10 Pro x64 AMD for Hadoop 3.2.0, 3.2.1 or 3.2.1

If you try that and you have luck, please advise.  What I am looking for is
someone that had done this and has had success.

You have not done this but are slinging out drive by suggestions, all of
which I tried before posting to this user list.

Get yourself a Windows box, get Hadoop running - it will take you some
time, maybe a week, but I know you can do it, and when you get the formula,
let me know.

thank you

Posted by /dev /local/ca <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arlindo Neto <ne...@gmail.com>.