Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> on 2004/02/27 13:36:56 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.

--

Rolf Kulemann

"There is inherently no silverbullet" - F.Brooks

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
>> the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
>> woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.
>

> we can enable it as soon as code relies on it.

+1 (in 1.4-dev)

> my approach was to only enable needed blocks.

+1

-- Andreas

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:42, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>>Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>>

>>>Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
>>>the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
>>>woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.
>>
>>we can enable it as soon as code relies on it. my approach was to only
>>enable needed blocks.
>

> I see. What do the others think?
>
> I think project specific code uses woody....and it will be an
> enhancement for users not to recompile anything to use woody.
> Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
> usage barrier?
>
> IMHO forms will be used often in Lenya projects, so Lenya should provide
> tools to develop forms i.e. provide woody.

ATM, it is not explicitely recommended to use Woody for
forms in Lenya. And there is no Woody code in the Lenya core.
We should probably consider switching to Woody as the
forms framework to implement usecases, but this would be
the first step which is followed by enabling the block in
local.blocks.properties. IMHO, in this case diversity just
adds confusion and increases the entry barrier.

-- Andreas

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> I see. What do the others think?
>
> I think project specific code uses woody....and it will be an
> enhancement for users not to recompile anything to use woody.
> Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
> usage barrier?

-1

its easy as pie to add a block. we have to get away from the current bloat.

> IMHO forms will be used often in Lenya projects, so Lenya should provide
> tools to develop forms i.e. provide woody.

once we use woody within lenya, sure

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

> "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> writes:
>

>>>Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
>>>usage barrier?
>>
>>-1
>>
>>IMO If somebody uses woody I think (s)he can compiled themself. Like
>>Andreas and Gregor have stated Lenya is *not* using it by default
>

> Yes but we will be using it soon. And alot of our users use it. So if
> you volunteer to write an FAQ on how to enable Cocoon Forms (aka
> Woody) in Lenya then I'm ok if we do not enable it by
> default.

Doesn't the Woody documentation contain a hint on
how to enable the block?

-- Andreas

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:
> "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> writes:
>

>>>Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
>>>usage barrier?
>>
>>-1
>>
>>IMO If somebody uses woody I think (s)he can compiled themself. Like
>>Andreas and Gregor have stated Lenya is *not* using it by default
>

> Yes but we will be using it soon.

Ok, that is different! If we plan using it in the near future (next
release or so) and Rolf would like it right *now* we *should* enable it.
*But...*

And alot of our users use it. So if
> you volunteer to write an FAQ on how to enable Cocoon Forms (aka
> Woody) in Lenya then I'm ok if we do not enable it by
> default.

passing back the ball to you (or somebody who wants to have woody
enabled ;-)): If we enable it we *have to* have a use case that will
explain the usage of woody within lenya.

> Otherwise I strongly suggest we enable it to avoid having to answer a
> lot of questions on the user and dev lists.

IMO as soon as we enable it we will have to answer as many question
about the usage of woody as about how to enable it.

King regards

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
"Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> writes:

> > Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
> > usage barrier?
>
> -1
>
> IMO If somebody uses woody I think (s)he can compiled themself. Like
> Andreas and Gregor have stated Lenya is *not* using it by default

Yes but we will be using it soon. And alot of our users use it. So if
you volunteer to write an FAQ on how to enable Cocoon Forms (aka
Woody) in Lenya then I'm ok if we do not enable it by
default.

Otherwise I strongly suggest we enable it to avoid having to answer a
lot of questions on the user and dev lists.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:42, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>>Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>>

>>>Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
>>>the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
>>>woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.
>>
>>we can enable it as soon as code relies on it. my approach was to only
>>enable needed blocks.
>

> I see. What do the others think?
>
> I think project specific code uses woody....and it will be an
> enhancement for users not to recompile anything to use woody.
> Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
> usage barrier?

-1

IMO If somebody uses woody I think (s)he can compiled themself. Like
Andreas and Gregor have stated Lenya is *not* using it by default so it
shouldn't be included either by default!

> IMHO forms will be used often in Lenya projects, so Lenya should provide
> tools to develop forms i.e. provide woody.

You are totaly right but if we start including components that are not
used within lenya we will end up to include everything. It's like
opening Pandora box ;-)

  King regards

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:42, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> > Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
> > the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
> > woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.
>
> we can enable it as soon as code relies on it. my approach was to only
> enable needed blocks.

I see. What do the others think?

I think project specific code uses woody....and it will be an
enhancement for users not to recompile anything to use woody.
Compiling woody by default and add transfomers etc. would lower the
usage barrier?

IMHO forms will be used often in Lenya projects, so Lenya should provide
tools to develop forms i.e. provide woody.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is the way the
job is described in the formal spec.  Working late would feel like
using an undocumented external procedure.

PGP/GPG public key:
	 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Re: [PROPOSAL] Enable woody block by default

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> writes:

> Since woody seems to be the way to develop forms, I propose to compile
> the woody cocoon block by default (->local.blocks.props) and add the
> woody transformer and generator to global-sitemap.xmap.

+1 Yes I think we should enable the woody cocoon block by default