Posted to users@camel.apache.org by David Ecker <da...@ecker-software.de> on 2021/12/13 09:45:26 UTC

Apache Log4j Security Vulnerabilities

Hi,

since it looks like camel/camel-k is directly affected by the
vulnerability; Is a patch or a workaround for camel-k already available?

Thanks,
David

Re: Apache Log4j Security Vulnerabilities

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM David Ecker <da...@ecker-software.de> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> one system less to fix.

We have not identified log4j-core as used at runtime as part of Camel
K. We may have missed something.
log4j is used during testing camel and camel-k-runtime itself

for camel-k-runtime we only used it during testing, but have
completely removed in for next release
https://github.com/apache/camel-k-runtime/commit/df1608055e0f94f923a24cde27b29ad3be1a6a11

The logging systems that are used at runtime, camel-k and the builder
pod are quarkus and maven.
Both of them do not use log4j, but jboss-logging and slf4j simple logging.

The next round of LTS release of apache camel will upgrade to log4j
2.15.0 that has the CVE fix.
But we are only using log4j during testing. But nevertheless it gives
some reassurance that anyhow log4j is used then its the fixed version.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Apache Log4j Security Vulnerabilities

Posted by David Ecker <da...@ecker-software.de>.
Thanks,

one system less to fix.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM David Ecker <da...@ecker-software.de> wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
> the information is from Red Hat, if I understood it correctly:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/RHSB-2021-009

The blog post from Quarkus tells more why Red Hat reported Camel K /
Camel Quarkus as affected, due to log4j-core was shipped in a product
.zip download
(but as we known Camel is not affected)
https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-and-CVE-2021-4428/#red-hat-product-security-bulletin

--