Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/08 10:28:05 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating (RC-5)

Hi,
this is what I wrote two or three times in the last few weeks (and deleted it):

"I don't want to start and endless discussion now, but at some point we should discuss pros/cons of multi-module projects (such as Apache Jena) which wants (or needs?) to release single modules
independently (while in incubation). (It seems to me there are more cons in what we are doing than pros and maybe this is the reason why many other incubating (and multi-module) projects don't do it
like us (i.e. they go for a single version and release all the modules at the same time == 1 vote)."

What are in your opinion pros/cons (technical and non) in relation to releasing one module at the time (i.e. multiple [VOTE]s) vs. release all modules in one shot (i.e. one [VOTE])?

Why are we (I am probably less attached than others (*)) so attached to the "one module at the time"? History? Technical reasons?

 (*) indeed in the office I do/advice for exactly the opposite as we do here: a multi-module project (when necessary/useful) --> single version number for all the modules --> release everything in one
shot --> release often, no problem --> version _._.x+1 == drop-in replacement (i.e. often a bug fix release, no new functionalities... certainly, no backward incompatible changes).

My intention here is not to be critic or cause a flaming and endless discussion, if this is what's going to happen, I will simply shut up and let time to fix/settle things (slowly). I can wait. :-)

Paolo

PS:
I wrote something similar to this two or three times (and deleted it). Maybe I should have sent it on general@i.a.o, maybe it was the right choice not to send it (while the vote for TDB is still
running), maybe I should not have sent this message... but this time I hit send instead of delete. ;-)