Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2010/01/03 19:45:37 UTC

Compiling mahout on OS X

Hi,

I'm not only new to mahout, but also maven. While compiling mahout on
OS X, I stumbled upon two issues. They are not mahout issues, but I'd
like to share the solution nonetheless as a future reference:

(1) Wrong Java Version

Problem: I got the error 'javac: invalid target release: 1.6' even
though I set Java 6 to be the default in the Java Preferences. Even on
the command line, 'java -version' showed 1.6 as the version number.
However, this did not carry over to Maven, as 'mvn -v' confirmed.

Solution: Explicitly set the 'JAVA_HOME' environment variable.
Strangely enough, this does not happen automatically when changing the
Java Preferences.  In my case, I set it via 'export
JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/'

(2) Out of Memory when compiling

Problem: I got an 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space' when
compiling the core module of a current svn checkout of Mahout (not the
release).

Solution: Set the environment variable 'MAVEN_OPTS' to allow for more
memory via 'export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024m'

Hope this helps when setting up your mahout environment.

Markus

Re: Compiling mahout on OS X

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Sunday 03 January 2010 19:45:37 Markus Weimer wrote:
> Hope this helps when setting up your mahout environment.

Thanks, I added the information to our "Building Mahout" wiki page.

Isabel

--
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Compiling mahout on OS X

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Markus Weimer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not only new to mahout, but also maven. While compiling mahout on
> OS X, I stumbled upon two issues. They are not mahout issues, but I'd
> like to share the solution nonetheless as a future reference:
>
> (1) Wrong Java Version
>
> Problem: I got the error 'javac: invalid target release: 1.6' even
> though I set Java 6 to be the default in the Java Preferences. Even on
> the command line, 'java -version' showed 1.6 as the version number.
> However, this did not carry over to Maven, as 'mvn -v' confirmed.
>
> Solution: Explicitly set the 'JAVA_HOME' environment variable.
> Strangely enough, this does not happen automatically when changing the
> Java Preferences.  In my case, I set it via 'export
> JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/'
>

> (2) Out of Memory when compiling
>
> Problem: I got an 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space' when
> compiling the core module of a current svn checkout of Mahout (not the
> release).
>
> Solution: Set the environment variable 'MAVEN_OPTS' to allow for more
> memory via 'export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024m'
>
> Hope this helps when setting up your mahout environment.

+1.  Thanks Markus!