Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Piyush Rai <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/10 16:00:00 UTC

extracting coordinates and timings

Hello,

I am new to SVG. I have two questions:-

1. Firstly, I want to know if Batik viewer can show animated SVG files or not? I want to show some annotations(like encircling or "tick-marking" some parts of a background image). For this, I need to create a path element. However, I don't want the entire path to be shown all at once. I mean they should be shown gradually("incrementally" rather!!) as they are drawn(may be, by specifying the begin time and duration of each annotation). Can someone give me an idea as to how can I achieve this?

2. In case, above is possible, I want to extract the current drawing coordinates, and time(from the beginning of animation) of the path. How can I do this? I need to send these parameters to another application to reproduce the drawing of annotations in a 3D world(using Java3D/VRML) by a humanoid avatar.

Any help(Batik/Non-Batik) on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Piyush.

Re: extracting coordinates and timings

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks Tonny for your quick reply. I'll try to generate the animations
> using ECMA/JavaScript.
> However, would you please answer my second question in the last mail?
> Is it possible to extract the coordinates of a point on the path with
> timings(from beginning of animation) at the same time when the point
> is being drawn. Actually, I need to send these parameters to another
> application which is supposed to "replay" the animated annotations of
> the SVG file in a 3D environment by an animated humanoid avatar. These
> two applications need to run synchronously. I mean, the humanoid
> avatar should replay the annotations at the same time at which they
> are shown in the SVG file.

Since the animation is generated using ECMA/JavaScript, the same
JavaScript also can be used to notify the other application as well.

Or it is depend on how you generate the Path using Script. You could
also listen to DOMMutationEvent to listen for MutationEvent eg: node
inserted, attribute change, etc

Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: extracting coordinates and timings

Posted by Piyush Rai <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Tonny for your quick reply. I'll try to generate the animations using ECMA/JavaScript.
However, would you please answer my second question in the last mail? Is it possible to extract the coordinates of a point on the path with timings(from beginning of animation) at the same time when the point is being drawn. Actually, I need to send these parameters to another application which is supposed to "replay" the animated annotations of the SVG file in a 3D environment by an animated humanoid avatar. These two applications need to run synchronously. I mean, the humanoid avatar should replay the annotations at the same time at which they are shown in the SVG file.
Hope you could give me some idea regarding the same.
Kind regards,
Piyush.

Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com> wrote:
Hi,

> 1. Firstly, I want to know if Batik viewer can show animated SVG files
> or not? I want to show some annotations(like encircling or
> "tick-marking" some parts of a background image). For this, I need to
> create a path element. However, I don't want the entire path to be
> shown all at once. I mean they should be shown
> gradually("incrementally" rather!!) as they are drawn(may be, by
> specifying the begin time and duration of each annotation). Can
> someone give me an idea as to how can I achieve this?

As far as I know, the current Batik version does not support animation.
However, batik support EcmaScript/JavaScript which you may utilize.
Check out the batik sample starfield.svg

Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa