Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/17 13:57:09 UTC

Web Console Configuration Admin

Hi Dieter,

I continued on improving configuration support in the web console today
and deployed a new SNAPSHOT version 1.0.1-20080617.115310-3.

Could you please verify, that it works as you expect it work with
respect to your issues:

        FELIX-583 org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.compendium.ConfigManager.listConfigurations(): ManagedServiceFactory instances are listed twice: with pid and factoryPid
        FELIX-584 org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.compendium.AjaxConfigManagerAction.applyConfiguration(): "create" action is not handled properly
        FELIX-585 org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.compendium.ConfigManager.listConfigurations(): Configuration instances for ManagedServiceFactoy instances cause IllegalArgumentException
        FELIX-586 org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.compendium.BaseConfigManager.getAttributeDefinitionMap(): implementation does not properly handle Configuration instances of a ManagedServiceFactory
        FELIX-587 org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.compendium.AjaxConfigManagerAction.configForm(): Configuration instance for a ManagedServiceFactory will cause Exception

Thanks alot.

Regards
Felix

Re: Web Console Configuration Admin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 14:36 -0500 schrieb Dieter Wimberger:
> Felix:
>
> I have checked against the HEAD on svn, and it seems to me as if it
> works properly.
>
> If I may, I would suggest a small improvement to the visualization:

Sure ... I don't think we have yet found the best visualization...

> At the moment it is very difficult to realize which instance one is
> editing.

Yes, I thought about listing the PID of the configuration shown as a
title -- instead or in addition to the current title.

>  I would suggest to:
> 1. retain the selection (marking the corresponding Configuration
> option as selected); and maybe

Yes, this would certainly be an option.

> 2. clearly separate the selectors and show the configuration
> information before the form.

The problem here is, that the configuration form might be quite big.
Thus looking for the configuration selectors at the end of the page
might become tedious.

I was thinking along the lines of changing the display similar to the
way the licenses are displayed: We have the list of (factory)
configurations on the left hand side and have the currently selected
configuration on the right hand side.

> Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the feedback. It is this, which helps us going this way ;-)

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Felix:

I have checked against the HEAD on svn, and it seems to me as if it
works properly.

If I may, I would suggest a small improvement to the visualization:

At the moment it is very difficult to realize which instance one is
editing. I would suggest to:
1. retain the selection (marking the corresponding Configuration
option as selected); and maybe
2. clearly separate the selectors and show the configuration
information before the form.

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Regards,
Dieter

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dieter,

One note I missed in my first reply: The current web console
configuration support does not call the
ConfigurationAdmin.createFactoryConfiguration method until the user
clicks save. This prevent encountering different behaviour in Felix
configadmin and Equinox DM with respect to persistent configuration.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dieter,

Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 10:43 -0500 schrieb Dieter Wimberger:
> Sorry for not being to responsive; I'll be presenting my final PhD
> defense on Friday.

Absolutely no problem, we all have our day jobs, which may or may not
allow to respond within minutes ...

I wish you luck for Friday !

> I'll take a look ASAP and report back to you.
>
> Probably it would be good to have a clear statement as to whether the
> standard specifications (Service Compendium,
> 104.7.2) implicitly assume that using one of the two methods "to
> create a new instance of a Managed Service Factory" automatically
> implies that the created Configuration instance "exists" in the
> meaning of "existence" as used in 104.7.3.

Yes. My intent was to ask this on the OSGi dev list, which is more than
helpfull in resolving such uncertainties.

It seems that the Equinox implementation creates a "transient", i.e.
non-persistent configuration, which is only persisted upon update. The
Felix on the other hand creates a persistent configuration.

> If it is the case, it should probably be added to externalize it (i.e.
> explicitly mention it in 104.7.2) and as soon as (or if?) I figure out
> the Bugzilla nightmare at Eclipse, I'll report an issue.

I agree, that the spec should be clarified. In this case a bug with
osgi.org is probably more appropriate.

> Meanwhile I'll continue "porting" to Felix; things like this are
> pretty unobvious "containerisms" that make it harder than it actually
> should be.

Yes, this is true. And I appoligize for that. On the other hand, we try
as hard as we can to implement the specs as good as we can (and as we
understand them). There are times, where the spec is not 100% clear and
my assumptions are not appropriate (one such case lead to the recent SCR
1.0.2 release). In such cases our goal is to fix our implementation to
match the intents of the specification.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.