Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/16 14:23:34 UTC

Can I commit third party jar to apache project ?

I am working on one ticket of apache project. And this feature requires
another third party jar but unfortunately this jar is not available in
public maven repository.  So I plan to commit this jar to the apache
project as local repository dependency. And the licence of this jar is
apache licence.  Is it alloweded to commit such third party jar to apache
project ? Thanks

Re: Can I commit third party jar to apache project ?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/10/2016 13:00, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Jeff Zhang wrote:
>> I am working on one ticket of apache project. And this feature requires
>> another third party jar but unfortunately this jar is not available in
>> public maven repository.
>
> Note that it's possible to upload other people's open source jars to
> maven central via OSSRH. Normally you'd ask the project in question if
> they'd mind uploading their own release via OSSRH, which they often will
> do with a bit of support. If it's abandoned or they project has no
> interest, you can build/tweak a pom and upload it for them.
>
> There's several Apache projects which do this moderately often for open
> source libraries they want to depend on (Apache Tika being one such that
> I know of), so there's experience around to help if you need it

+1. That route is much preferable to adding JARs to the svn repo.

Mark

Re: Can I commit third party jar to apache project ?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Jeff Zhang wrote:
> I am working on one ticket of apache project. And this feature requires
> another third party jar but unfortunately this jar is not available in
> public maven repository.

Note that it's possible to upload other people's open source jars to maven
central via OSSRH. Normally you'd ask the project in question if they'd
mind uploading their own release via OSSRH, which they often will do with
a bit of support. If it's abandoned or they project has no interest, you
can build/tweak a pom and upload it for them.

There's several Apache projects which do this moderately often for open
source libraries they want to depend on (Apache Tika being one such that I
know of), so there's experience around to help if you need it

Nick

Re: Can I commit third party jar to apache project ?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Jeff,

You should probably check with that project directly.

John