Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Spencer Tickner <sp...@qp.gov.bc.ca> on 2007/11/01 21:50:22 UTC

Vertical Small Caps alignment

Hi List,

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm quite the newbie with fo, and have been
playing around with fop. I realize that fop doesn't support
font-variant="small-caps" at the moment so I am using more of an xsl
solution. The final output looks like this:

    <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-family="Times" font-weight="bold">
        <fo:wrapper font-size="75%"><fo:wrapper
font-size="133%">P</fo:wrapper>ART</fo:wrapper>
    </fo:block>

Now, no matter what I try, the smaller text (ART) is aligned at the top of
the block.. Is there anyway to get this to align along the bottom using fop?

Thanks,

Spencer Tickner

RE: Vertical Small Caps alignment

Posted by Spencer Tickner <sp...@qp.gov.bc.ca>.
Hey Andreas,

Your right!, just tried it myself and everything looks great. Thanks for the
help.

Spence

On Nov 1, 2007, at 22:30, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

>>     <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-family="Times" font-
>> weight="bold">
>>         <fo:wrapper font-size="75%"><fo:wrapper
>> font-size="133%">P</fo:wrapper>ART</fo:wrapper>
>>     </fo:block>
>>
>> Now, no matter what I try, the smaller text (ART) is aligned at
>> the top of
>> the block.. Is there anyway to get this to align along the bottom
>> using fop?
>
> What have you tried so far?

FWIW: just tried it myself, and with fo:inlines, it seems to work
pretty well without doing anything special. Using fo:wrappers did not
get the correct relative font-sizes with me.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Vertical Small Caps alignment

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Spencer Tickner <sp...@qp.gov.bc.ca>.
Hi Andreas,

So far I've been trying:

	1) Display-align - but as you said it doesn't seem to have any
affect on block text
	2) Combinations of above on fo:inline-container, fo:region-body,
however this has been mainly shots in the dark while reading the spec.
	3) vertical-align - which I found some reference to in the spec, but
doesn't seem to do anything in my document
	4) various baseline properties - probably a ridiculous shot in the
dark.

Sounds like I am going the wrong direction with the wrappers, I'll start
trying to accomplish this with fo:inlines as per your suggestion.

Thanks,

Spencer Tickner

On Nov 1, 2007, at 21:50, Spencer Tickner wrote:

Hi

> Thanks in advance for the help. I'm quite the newbie with fo, and
> have been
> playing around with fop. I realize that fop doesn't support
> font-variant="small-caps" at the moment so I am using more of an xsl
> solution. The final output looks like this:
>
>     <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-family="Times" font-weight="bold">
>         <fo:wrapper font-size="75%"><fo:wrapper
> font-size="133%">P</fo:wrapper>ART</fo:wrapper>
>     </fo:block>
>
> Now, no matter what I try, the smaller text (ART) is aligned at the
> top of
> the block.. Is there anyway to get this to align along the bottom
> using fop?

What have you tried so far?
Have you looked into any of the area alignment properties at: http://
www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#area-alignment

As it turns out, it does seem that you need to abandon fo:wrappers
and use fo:inlines to get this working properly. Area alignment
properties do not apply to fo:block and are not inherited, so have no
effect when specified on a fo:wrapper.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas