Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ramachandran Raghavendran <Ra...@flsmidth.com> on 2013/02/01 05:40:20 UTC

Apache Subversion 1.7.7 - svn log issues

Hi,

I performed the very first commit into a repository and I'm running the
svn log command at the file level (svn log -v --xml --stop-on-copy @URL
PATH, where PATH  represents a file).

However this syntax  lists all the changes to the URL.

Have anybody encountered this behaviour . is this a  bug?

Best regards,

Ramachandran Raghavendran

Re: Apache Subversion 1.7.7 - svn log issues

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 3, 2013, at 21:45, Ramachandran Raghavendran wrote:

> My very first commit consisted of 10 folders and 8 files.
> After this very commit if I run svn log -v --xml with the URL for a
> single file, the output lists data for all the rest of items under that
> commit.
> I was expecting the data from just the file for which I'm running the
> log command.
> My understanding of what is happening is this....  even if we run svn
> log for a single file, if the (subversion) selected revision involves
> other files and folders, the log command gives the xml data of all
> involved items. So svn log seems to run at revision-file level rather
> than at file-revision level. Assuming that my understanding is correct ,
> I'd have wished the log to give the output of just what I asked for :-))

The purpose of the "-v" argument to "svn log" is to tell you the paths of all the files affected by the commit. If you don't want that information, don't supply the "-v" flag.

RE: Apache Subversion 1.7.7 - svn log issues

Posted by Ramachandran Raghavendran <Ra...@flsmidth.com>.
My very first commit consisted of 10 folders and 8 files.
After this very commit if I run svn log -v --xml with the URL for a
single file, the output lists data for all the rest of items under that
commit.
I was expecting the data from just the file for which I'm running the
log command.
My understanding of what is happening is this....  even if we run svn
log for a single file, if the (subversion) selected revision involves
other files and folders, the log command gives the xml data of all
involved items. So svn log seems to run at revision-file level rather
than at file-revision level. Assuming that my understanding is correct ,
I'd have wished the log to give the output of just what I asked for :-))

Best regards,

Ramachandran Raghavendran
IT Project Consultant

Direct +91 44 4748 3961  *