Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Feng Qu <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 19:43:51 UTC

offline compaction

Hello, is there a way to take one node out of ring and running a major compaction?

Feng Qu

Re: offline compaction

Posted by Mike Panchenko <m...@mihasya.com>.
Yes, that is what would happen; some anti entropy mechanism would have to
perform the replication after the fact (hinted handoff, read repair, manual
repair etc).

For most things, it's better to rely on the dynamic endpoint snitch and
some sort of dynamic load balancing from the client (see:
https://github.com/rantav/hector/blob/master/core/src/main/java/me/prettyprint/cassandra/connection/DynamicLoadBalancingPolicy.java)
to automatically route around busy nodes.

I don't remember when the referenced nodetool command was added; for older
versions, a similar effect can be achieved using iptables or similar tools.

Re: offline compaction

Posted by Karl Hiramoto <ka...@hiramoto.org>.

Re: offline compaction

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Feng Qu <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, is there a way to take one node out of ring and running a major
> compaction?
>
> Feng Qu

http://www.jointhegrid.com/highperfcassandra/?p=187

Cheers