Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by am...@yahoo.com on 2005/12/11 18:50:45 UTC

Creating an external url link

 Hi,

I am trying to create a link (external) to a page, let say I have page called ViewTask.html, I know to access this page I need a url like:

http://localhost:8080/example/service=page&page=ViewTask

But if ViewTask.java has a taskId member, how do you call the page and set this required field?

Thanks in advance,
Amir

Re: Creating an external url link

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
You probably want your page to implement IExternalPage, and use the
external service to call it. This allows convenient parameter passing
-- your activateExternalPage() method can do any necessary setup.

I spent some time grappling with parameter passing and page lifecycle
before I figured out how useful the external service is. IMO, the
documentation doesn't highlight it nearly enough! My own apps rarely
use the page service; instead, they ends up mostly using the external
service (for "entry point" pages) or the direct service (for "in
process" pages linked/submitted from within the app). This way, every
page has a well-defined entry point: either an activateExternalPage()
method or a listener method, which gets rid of the great majority of
page initialization headaches. I've liked this approach very well so
far.

Cheers,

Paul