Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/28 15:25:50 UTC

[TOMEE-2287] Histogram Prometheus Output

Hello everyone:

I am making progress implementing a Metrics Histogram example.  Please see
the following code:

@Path("/histogram")
@GET
@Produces(MediaType.TEXT_PLAIN)
// @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON)
public Histogram histogramStatus() {
    Metadata metadata = new Metadata("items", MetricType.HISTOGRAM,
"degrees F");
    metadata.setDescription("A histogram of recent temperatures.");
    Histogram temps = metrics.histogram(metadata);
    for(int temp = 80; temp < 100; ++temp) {
        temps.update(temp);
    }
    return temps;
}

In APPLICATION_JSON mode (commented), the output is as expected. However,
in TEXT_MODE, I get the following message:

No message body writer has been found for class
org.apache.geronimo.microprofile.metrics.impl.HistogramImpl,
ContentType: text/plain

I haven't been able to find a way to correct this, especially since the
Counter Metric didn't require a body writer.

I would appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Mike.

--
*Code*, *Write*, *Cycle*, *Run*, *Drink*,
*Sleep ... Repeat*

*InfoQ <https://www.infoq.com/> Java Queue Editor*
https://about.me/mpredli <http://about.me/mpredli/>
https://twitter.com/mpredli
https://redlich.net/
https://javasig.org/
*Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler*

Re: [TOMEE-2287] Histogram Prometheus Output

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan:

Yes, I will clean things up a bit and do that soon.  I would also like to
try Romain's suggestion.  I'm not all that experienced in pushing to a
remote branch, so if you could complete the command below, it would be much
appreciated.  Thanks!

*git push*

Mike.

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard:

Thanks for taking the time to outline the process.  I certainly appreciate
it!  My use of git has been somewhat limited to working on my own
repositories.

Now it makes sense.  I originally cloned the *tomitribe\tomee* repository
and started making my changes to add the Histogram example.  My confusion
was how the relationship between the *tomitribe\tomee* repository and my
own forked version of it.

I will reconstruct everything on my MacBook Pro and continue my work.

Best regards,

Mike.

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <mo...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify.  apache/TomEE is the open source project. It was stared by
David Blevins and others in order to provide a lightweight alternative to
Java EE servers.  Tomitribe is a commercial company that was created to
provide support services to companies using TomEE and a couple of other
open source projects (e.g. Tomcat and ActiveMQ).  While a bunch of the
folks volunteering to work on TomEE also work for Tomitribe the two
organizations are separate. Tomitribe doesn't own TomEE. TomEE is open
source and is owned by you and everyone else in the open source community.
So the work you do on TomEE should be done on the apache/tomee Git Hub
project - using the forking technique I talked about before.

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.
yw!

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Ivan!

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan:

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan:

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Richard!

Mike.

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Ivan!

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Romain:

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hello Michael,

in prometheus, histograms are not represented directly like their class and
the prometheus representation is done through an endpoint and not a body

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.