Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Marc Logemann <de...@logemann.info> on 2002/08/05 10:09:27 UTC

is there a controller servlet?

Hi,

is in the velocity package a controller servlet which allows
me to do things like this:

http://localhost/MyTemplate.vm

(of course with apropriate servlet mapping on *.vm in web.xml)

?

VelocityServlet only seems to be a convenience servlet for easier
template handling but without the ability to dispatch to templates
based on URL.

Thx for info.
---
greetings from
Marc Logemann
Homebase @ www.logemann.info

RE: is there a controller servlet?

Posted by Kevin Baynes <kb...@seagullsw.com>.
Marc-

It appears that you wish to use Velocity in a Web Publishing environment,
using Model/View/Controller architecture.

Velocity is a great template engine, and has been intentionally limited to
that focus. There are other projects that have done all the work of
integrating Velocity into a Web Application framework using the MVC
architecture: JPublish, Struts, Turbine, WebWork, Maverick.

I don't know your design goals, but one of these other projects may keep you
from reinventing the wheel. I'm currently studying JPublish and am quite
impressed with it. It provodes the controller you need, with good separation
of content and view, and the ability to use JPython or JavaScript (or
others) to script your Java objects allows you to write logic without having
to recompile Servlets. It uses Velocity to generates its views.

Jpublish - www.jpublish.org

Kevin Baynes
Software Engineer
SEAGULL Software