Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rob Johnston <rj...@juniper.net> on 2002/11/18 17:42:16 UTC

XMLForms: storing and displaying tabular data

Hello,

I am trying to do something very specific using XMLForms and have been
coming up dry on ideas on how to do it.  Basically, I want to have a
screen which will have a table where selected "items" are displayed, as
well as a item-specific version number:

,--------------------------------------------.
|    | Name         | Timestamp  | Version   |
`--------------------------------------------'
| o  | foo1         | 2002-...   | 100       |
| o  | foo2         | 2002-...   | 150       |
| o  | foo3         | 2002-...   | 200       |

the o's are radio buttons.  So the user clicks on a radio button (let's
say 'foo2' then clicks on a button below that says "Change Version".  We
then get forwarded to a screen such as:

,---------------------------------------.
|   | Version   | Timestamp | Comment   |
`---------------------------------------'
| o | 125       | 2002...   | ...       |
| o | 150       | 2002...   | ...       |
| o | 175       | 2002...   | ...       |

the user then selects '175' by clickign the radio and then 'next', then
the following would be displayed:

,--------------------------------------------.
|    | Name         | Timestamp  | Version   |
`--------------------------------------------'
| o  | foo1         | 2002-...   | 100       |
| o  | foo2         | 2002-...   | 175       |
| o  | foo3         | 2002-...   | 200       |

... My problem is tying this all together.  Since this is all built
dynamically, I've been trying to use xf:repeat's as well as DOM trees to
store this info, but unfortunately I need to have the version for each
item in the table available later on in the pipeline (for processing).

To even set up the tables, I've made a new selectUItype called
"radioTable" that takes the following form:

<xf:selectOne ... selectUIType='radioTable'>
  <xf:header>
    <xf:column>Name</xf:column>
  </xf:header>
  <xf:item>
    <xf:column>foo1</xf:column>
    <xf:value>foo1</xf:value>
  </xf:item>
</xf:selectOne>

Unfortunately, this only lets me store one value per row (when I need to
store multiple values per row).  Has anyone else used XMLForms with
tables in this way?  Or done it a 'better' way so as to be able to store
multiple values for each row in a DOM tree or UserBean otherwise?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
rob