Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Yannick Menager <ym...@fastmail.fm> on 2003/11/27 18:17:03 UTC

Merlin service registry

Following previous thread '[RT] Merlin Service autoassembly / plugin
infrastructure', I'm going to start writing some code for merlin. So if
anybody has any objections do it now before I waste too much of my time
*grin*

The first step will be to create a service registry functionality.

This will  allows merlin (at startup) to go through all the jarfiles in
the respository, and find out all services and implementations of that
service ( of course for performance reasons it will create an index so
that it only has to do it once ).

That will later gives the possibility to request merlin to automatically
find all services that implement a certain service.

Re: Merlin service registry

Posted by Yannick Menager <ym...@fastmail.fm>.
Small correction, actually I'm going to make it so that it works based
purely on the avalon-meta info, so that it can be used for other avalon
containers too.

Oh, and while it's work in progress, i'll keep it on my svn server. I've
made the project readable anonymously in case anybody is interested in
having a look at how it's progressing.

It can be found under http://svn.jguild.com/avalon-serviceregistry/trunk/

( and https:// for those behind a firewall that doesn't allow svn )

Re: Merlin service registry

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Yannick Menager wrote:

> Following previous thread '[RT] Merlin Service autoassembly / plugin
> infrastructure', I'm going to start writing some code for merlin. So
> if anybody has any objections do it now before I waste too much of my
> time *grin*

No objections here !

> The first step will be to create a service registry functionality.
>
> This will  allows merlin (at startup) to go through all the jarfiles
> in the respository, and find out all services and implementations of
> that service ( of course for performance reasons it will create an
> index so that it only has to do it once ).
>
> That will later gives the possibility to request merlin to
> automatically find all services that implement a certain service.

While your at it - it would be very helpful if you also index the
manifest entries concerning spec and vendor.  This would enable us to
leverage the respository as a source for jar files matching extension
jar file dependency statements.  If this doesn't make a lot of sense I
can put together some pointers to the relevant content in the
avalon/merlin/extension package.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org