Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by bbarani <bb...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/09 17:20:07 UTC

spell check vs terms component

Hi,

We are trying to implement auto suggest feature in our application.

I would like to know the difference between terms vs spell check component.

Both the handlers seems to display almost the same output, can anyone let me
know the difference and also I would like to know when to go for spell check
and when to go for terms component.

Thanks,
Barani

Re: spell check vs terms component

Posted by bbarani <bb...@gmail.com>.
Shalin / Ken,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions ..I havent tried NGrams filter.. I will
try that too..

Posted by Ken Stanley <do...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM, bbarani <bb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We are trying to implement auto suggest feature in our application.
>>
>> I would like to know the difference between terms vs spell check component.
>>
>> Both the handlers seems to display almost the same output, can anyone let
>> me
>> know the difference and also I would like to know when to go for spell
>> check
>> and when to go for terms component.
>>

> SpellCheckComponent is designed to operate on whole words and not partial
> words so I don't know how well it will work for auto-suggest, if at all.
>
> As far as differences between SpellCheckComponent and Terms Component is
> concerned, TermsComponent is a straight prefix match whereas SCC takes edit
> distance into account. Also, SCC can deal with phrases composed of multiple
> words and also gives back a collated suggestion.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

An alternative to using the SpellCheckComponent and/or the
TermsComponent, would be the (Edge)NGrams filter. Basically, this
filter breaks words down into auto-suggest-friendly tokens (i.e.,
"Hello" => "H", "He", "Hel", "Hell", "Hello") that works great for
auto suggestion querying.

Here is an article from Lucid Imagination on using the ngram filter:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/09/08/auto-suggest-from-popular-queries-using-edgengrams/
Here is the SOLR wiki entry for the filter:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.EdgeNGramFilterFactory

- Ken Stanley

Re: spell check vs terms component

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.