Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2012/11/28 23:58:42 UTC

release 1.7.3 soon?

I hope to create a 1.7.3 release candidate in the next few days.

Are there any changes folks want to get into this release?

Doug

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Sean,

Sure, please update it.  I set the "fix version" to 1.8 earlier.  Thanks!

Doug

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> AVRO-997 would be an incompatible change so we'd have to change the
> release name to 1.8.0 and folks might then reasonably adopt it more
> slowly, since it might break things.  I'd prefer to wait until we have
> other more substantial incompatible changes; to group them together in
> a single incompatible release.

Sure, that sounds reasonable. Mind if I update the ticket to reference this
so that observers know that the strict approach is a go, and that we're
just waiting to aggregate breakage? The ticket currently reads to me like
it's an open topic.

Also, I don't think of AVRO-997 as a bug but rather a lack of error
> checking.  The proposed change is to no longer permit folks to pass a
> java.lang.Enum in generic data, but rather to force them to always use
> GenericEnumSymbol, or switch to using specific or reflect, which allow
> java.lang.Enum for enum symbols.  So if this is causing you problems,
> you can simply change your code to use GenericEnumSymbol now rather
> than wait until 1.8.0 forces you to make that change.
>
> Am I missing something?

That's essentially correct.

-Sean

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> I hope to create a 1.7.3 release candidate in the next few days.
>
> Are there any changes folks want to get into this release?
>
> Doug

I'd love to see resolution on AVRO-997.  I think I even like the
enforce-strict-enum-use approach better.

Since that would be breaking is it out of scope?

-Sean

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Maxim Pugachev <mp...@iponweb.net>.
Could anyone please review this patch:
Thanks in advance!

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Jeff,

Somehow I missed those.  I just commented on each issue.  I think we
can likely include both in 1.7.3.

Thanks,

Doug

Re: release 1.7.3 soon?