Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> on 2019/05/10 23:45:26 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack

I would like to propose that we move from the IRC to Slack for IM communication by June 1st.  This is in response to ASF moving to Slack for Infra and other channels and spamming that has happened on the IRC over the last year.

This would require that people without an apache.org email address to be invited.  We would keep the IRC channel open after the migration to notify people of the Slack channel.

Link to the ASF Workspace:
https://the-asf.slack.com <https://the-asf.slack.com/>

Channel on Slack:
#traffic-server

-Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack

Posted by John Rushford <jj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Rushford <jj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On May 11, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Evan Zelkowitz <ez...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Though it would be nice if there was an easier way to get new people
> in rather than having to manually invite them. My only worry is people
> who just want to ask a question dont have an easy way to be able to
> get in. So maybe there should be some change on the site to notify
> that they should request access on the mailing list or something like
> that

All @apache.org people can automatically join. The filter is reasonable IMO, since it avoids the massive spam issues we’ve had in IRC.

But agreed, we should update the IRC Subject, and update the main https://trafficserver.apache.org/ <https://trafficserver.apache.org/> site to indicate this move, and the process to get an invite for non-apache.org <http://non-apache.org/> people.

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack

Posted by "Fieck, Brennan" <Br...@comcast.com>.
Dang, another win for proprietary software :(

________________________________
Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@verizonmedia.com>.

Posted by "Steven R. Feltner" <sf...@godaddy.com>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Schaumann <js...@netmeister.org>.

Posted by Fei Deng <du...@apache.org>.
+1

Already using slack for work, would be nice to use one client for all the
chats.

Posted by Chris Lemmons <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <ja...@me.com>.

Posted by James Peach <ja...@me.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Evan Zelkowitz <ez...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Shu Kit Chan <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Shu Kit Chan <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Evan Zelkowitz <ez...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1 .. Finally

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 4:45 PM, Bryan Call<bc...@apache.org> wrote:   I would like to propose that we move from the IRC to Slack for IM communication by June 1st.  This is in response to ASF moving to Slack for Infra and other channels and spamming that has happened on the IRC over the last year.

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@verizonmedia.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason Kenny <jk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
+1