Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "S. Zhou" <my...@yahoo.com> on 2015/03/24 23:07:36 UTC

storm failed to activate topology

I was running this command "./storm activate MyTopology" and got the following exception. I looked through storm log files and could not see any clues. Any hints? Thanks!

We are using storm 0.8.0 on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04).

0    [main] INFO  backtype.storm.thrift  - Connecting to Nimbus at localhost:6627
Exception in thread "main" NotAliveException(msg:MyTopology)
    at backtype.storm.generated.Nimbus$activate_result.read(Nimbus.java:4188)
    at org.apache.thrift7.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:78)
    at backtype.storm.generated.Nimbus$Client.recv_activate(Nimbus.java:210)
    at backtype.storm.generated.Nimbus$Client.activate(Nimbus.java:197)
    at clojure.lang.Reflector.invokeMatchingMethod(Reflector.java:93)
    at clojure.lang.Reflector.invokeInstanceMethod(Reflector.java:28)
    at backtype.storm.command.activate$_main.invoke(activate.clj:7)
    at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:161)
    at clojure.lang.AFn.applyTo(AFn.java:151)
    at backtype.storm.command.activate.main(Unknown Source)

Re: storm failed to activate topology

Posted by "S. Zhou" <my...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Derek. Yes, you are right. It turns out that there is another different physical machine running the nimbus as well. I killed it and it works.

     On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:39 AM, Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

 Having a worker and nimbus on the same host should not be a problem.

We have seen this exact thing happen when two nimbus daemons are operating on the same file system location (sometimes an NFS mount).

The other thing that comes to mind is ZooKeeper configuration.  Make sure all of the ZooKeeper hosts are part of the same ZooKeeper cluster.

--
Derek

________________________________

> [...]

>>    at clojure.lang.Reflector.invokeMatchingMethod(Reflector.java:93)
>>    at clojure.lang.Reflector.invokeInstanceMethod(Reflector.java:28)
>>    at backtype.storm.command.activate$_main.invoke(activate.clj:7)
>>    at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:161)
>>    at clojure.lang.AFn.applyTo(AFn.java:151)
>>    at backtype.storm.command.activate.main(Unknown Source)

Re: storm failed to activate topology

Another thing I observed while investigating is:
when I run "storm jar" command, it creates a directory "Mytopology-2-1427302545" under "nimbus/stormdist". In that directory it has 3 files "stormcode.ser  stormconf.ser  stormjar.jar"
But after a while, these three files and the directory "Mytopology-2-1427302545" are disappeared. I tried to manually create that directory and copied back these three files, they are deleted (I guess by storm) again.

 output from "storm list"0    [main] INFO  backtype.storm.thrift  - Connecting to Nimbus at localhost:6627No topologies running.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by yuanjun Li <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.