Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Jones <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/08 09:11:51 UTC

Which Binary dist?

I'm on an O/S that identifies itself as GNU/Linux using the uname command.

Is there a binary distribution of Subversion for this? If so which one?

Thanks, Rob.

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Tuesday 08 July 2008, lists@mgreg wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2008, at 6:39 AM, Marc Haisenko wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 July 2008, lists@mgreg wrote:
> >> You may also type:
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Michael
> >
> > That won't tell you which distribution you're using.
> > 	Marc
>
> I'm sorry, did I miss something?  Does Mandriva not support
> "uname"?    "uname -a" tells you everything about your distribution.
>
> Best,
> Michael

But it doesn't tell you WHICH distribution you're using, which was Robert's
problem :-) I bet he used "uname -o" which told him (correctly) that he's
using "GNU/Linux"...
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko

Comdasys AG
Rüdesheimer Str. 7
80686 München
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)89 548 433 321

Re: Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by David Chapman <dc...@earthlink.net>.
lists@mgreg wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2008, at 6:39 AM, Marc Haisenko wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 08 July 2008, lists@mgreg wrote:
>>> You may also type:
>>>
>>> uname -a
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Michael
>>
>> That won't tell you which distribution you're using.
>>     Marc
>
> I'm sorry, did I miss something?  Does Mandriva not support
> "uname"?    "uname -a" tells you everything about your distribution.
>
> Best,
> Michael

Neither "uname -a" nor "ls /etc/*release" gives you the requested
information on Slackware:

davidc@mariner:~$ cd /etc
davidc@mariner:/etc$ ls *release
/bin/ls: *release: No such file or directory
davidc@mariner:/etc$ ls *version
slackware-version
davidc@mariner:/etc$ cat slackware-version
Slackware 11.0.0
davidc@mariner:/etc$ uname -a
Linux mariner 2.6.17.13 #5 Fri Dec 29 19:31:36 PST 2006 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
davidc@mariner:/etc$

This is what I get on CentOS:

[davidc@pioneer ~]$ ls /etc/*release
/etc/redhat-release
[davidc@pioneer ~]$ cat /etc/*release
CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
[davidc@pioneer ~]$ uname -a
Linux pioneer.layoutsynthesis.com 2.6.9-67.0.20.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jun 26
08:14:55 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So which distro tells you its name directly from uname? Just curious...

--
    David Chapman         dcchapman@earthlink.net
    Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by "lists@mgreg" <li...@mgreg.com>.

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by "lists@mgreg" <li...@mgreg.com>.
On Jul 8, 2008, at 6:23 AM, Robert Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM, XoRDy <jo...@avellanadigital.com>
> wrote:
>
> Do this and tell us what you've got:
>
> cat /etc/*release
>
> Ah, that's helpful - I get
>
> Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for x86_64
>
> So, I was asking the wrong question - I should have been asking how to
> identify my O/S! Cheers XoRDy.
>
> --
> ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org

You may also type:

uname -a

Regards,
Michael

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Robert Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM, XoRDy <jo...@avellanadigital.com> wrote:
> > Do this and tell us what you've got:
> >
> > cat /etc/*release
>
> Ah, that's helpful - I get
>
> Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for x86_64
>
> So, I was asking the wrong question - I should have been asking how to
> identify my O/S! Cheers XoRDy.

So now you know your OS, and Google turned up this nice document:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software

You just need to log in as root and enter "urpmi subversion".

Bye,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko

Comdasys AG
Rüdesheimer Str. 7
80686 München
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)89 548 433 321

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by Robert Jones <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by XoRDy <jo...@avellanadigital.com>.

Re: Which Binary dist?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Robert Jones wrote:
> I'm on an O/S that identifies itself as GNU/Linux using the uname command.
>
> Is there a binary distribution of Subversion for this? If so which one?
>
> Thanks, Rob.

Heh, that's like saying, "I'm on a vehicle that identifies itself as a
car" :-)

You need to find out which distribution you are on and how that distribution
does software management. Every modern distribution already has SubVersion
packages that it supports.

For example, if you are using SuSE/OpenSuSE (look whether a
file /etc/SuSE-release exists) then you can use "YaST" to install SubVersion
which is a quite user-friendly dialog oriented system. If you are using a
text console, log in as root and type "yast -i" to get to the software
management GUI.

Other distributions have easy software management as well, I think in
Debian/Ubuntu you simply say "apt-get install subversion" as root but I don't
know for sure.
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko