Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by c chan <cc...@earthlink.net> on 2007/01/12 08:17:26 UTC

system() call fails without lefting any status

A simple system call like system("app & > /dev/nuil ") in a CGI aborts  the CGI without  leaving any status in the error_log. Did anyone experence anything like this?

The Apache 2 server is a standard FC5 rpm installation. I tried installing mod_perl-1.29's Apache::Registry to run Apache::DB->init() hoping that the debugger may review some more hidden erros. But I can seem to find any mod_perl-1.29 RPM from the redhat site.  I can't built the conventional mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz without any apache source in FC5.

These questions might be a little raw and balmy, I apologize in advance if they annoys you.

- Clement

Re: system() call fails without lefting any status

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
c chan wrote:
> A simple system call like system("app & > /dev/nuil ") in a CGI
> aborts  the CGI without  leaving any status in the error_log. Did
> anyone experence anything like this?

No.  Experiment with it.  Take the & off.  Take the STDOUT redirection
off.  See what causes it.

> But I can
> seem to find any mod_perl-1.29 RPM from the redhat site.  I can't
> built the conventional mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz without any apache source
> in FC5.

Both the apache 1.x and mod_perl 1.x source are readily available from
apache.org.  I'm running them on FC5 right now.

- Perrin