Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> on 2002/06/17 11:03:03 UTC

Including release notes in docs?

Hi,

I have always said that I like it when *all* the docs are available to me
in one place -- what I am missing from the site are the files included with
the distribution: README, INSTALL, etc. For example, TT includes them under
a "Release notes" group in the documentation:
http://www.template-toolkit.org/docs/plain/Release/index.html . Should we
add a section like this? I think it might be interesting for users.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Including release notes in docs?

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 04:55 18.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>>I don't think so. Here is why:
>>>
>>>The mod_perl docs include all the info the user needs, so README and
>>>INSTALL should be really short and point to the bundled and online docs.
>>>On the other hand TT's release notes are huge, so it's not the same. I
>>>don't consider these docs. And if there is something in these files
>>>which is not in the docs, I'd rather duplicate it in the docs.
>>>
>>>Also, it'll be a pain remembering to sync the files. and it has to be
>>>done manually because they need to be committed.
>>>
>>>Finally you can link to the cvs version.
>>
>>Hmm, ok, I give up :)
>>But we really need to go through with our project of getting 1.0 docs
>>into the mod_perl dist...
>
>when was 1.26 released, a year ago? I guess by the time 1.28 is released,
>it won't matter anymore, since most people will ride 2.0 by this time. in
>any case we can do this when Doug asks to test 1.28-tobe, which I expect
>to happen a year from now, if there will no major bugs discovered (which I
>doubt).

Hmm, a year is a long wait :) Well, maybe I can speed things up when I get
Cygwin working, there are some patches needed for that.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.