Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Craft <ja...@activeink.net> on 2001/04/10 17:21:39 UTC

Tomcat not recovering from runtime errors

Hello there,

We are having some problems with error recovery on one of our Tomcat
implementations.

When Tomcat must handle a runtime error from a resource on our system (that
is, an error the application hasn't handled), and the application resource
that produced the error is requested again, the request to that resource
will hang indefinitely. The browser will just sit there waiting, and the
application will say nothing.

A couple of requests like this will crash Tomcat. It won't "crash" it in
the sense that it eats up all its resources (memory or CPU time), but it
will somehow block all other requests, so that they don't get through. They
are "queued up" behind a request that won't finish.  We're a little
perplexed by this, since we thought requests to Tomcat should concurrently
be handled in separate threads.

Has anyone experienced a situation like this before?  Any thoughts on how
to resolve it?

Thanks very much for your help,
Jason Craft