Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Pfeiffer <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/05 17:37:12 UTC

Answer: Reloading classes WITHOUT using shutdown.sh & startup.sh (newbies should read)

I have been on this list for about a month and have see this question many time (myself included).
 I have finally figured out how you can get a class to reload (e.g. Included JavaBean) without
having to stop/start tomcat using shutdown.sh and startup.sh.  First, follow the directions in
"Manager App HOW-TO" included with the tomcat documentation.  Once this is done, you can use the
manager app reload function to reload the web app.  This also refreshes any newly compiled classes
(e.g. javabeans) that you may have included in the JSPs.  To use the reload, do the following:

http://<IP Address>/manager/reload?path=<web app>

You can also use the manager to deploy new web apps, un-deploy web apps, start/stop web apps.
This may be common sense to those tomcat veterans, but this was very helpful to me once I learned
how to use it.

Adam

P.S.  If I have made any errors, please correct me.  Thanks.

RE: Answer: Reloading classes WITHOUT using shutdown.sh & startup.sh (newbies should read)

Posted by Adam Pfeiffer <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Mike,
>From my experience, javabean will not be reloaded even with reloadable="true".  I have
reloadable="true" on my web app, and it would not reread the classes until I used shutdown.sh and
startup.sh.  Maybe I didn't have something set up right.  Here is a snipet from my server.xml:

        <Context path="/trips" docBase="trips" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
                     prefix="localhost_trips." suffix=".txt"
                  timestamp="true"/>
        </Context>

Let me know if you see anything wrong.  Thanks.