Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Richards <pa...@netcraft.co.uk> on 1995/09/15 18:14:51 UTC

New license

What do people think of this.

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1995
 *	Someone or other.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *	This product includes software contributed to the Apache HTTPD server
 *	project.
 * 4. The name of the contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
 *    products derived from this software without specific prior written
 *    permission.
 * 5. Redistributions of any form whatsover must retain the following
 *    acknowledgement:
 *	This product includes software contributed to the Apache HTTPD server
 *	project.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 *
 */

I can't actually do this now that I think about it. What's going to have to
happen is that the person who wrote the code in the first place will need to
submit a patch to those files that they consider theirs that replaces the
current license with this one, with their name put into the copyright line.

I'm not going to change the license and copyright on code that
clearly isn't mine and I've got no idea who did what. For the NCSA
code, either it stays in the public domain and any Apache patches
go into the public domain with it, or Rob McCool steps forward and
claims copyright on the bits he wrote, or someone claims them as
derivative works and places a copyright on it.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)

Re: New license

Posted by Tony Sanders <sa...@bsdi.com>.
Paul Richards writes:
> I'm not going to change the license and copyright on code that
> clearly isn't mine and I've got no idea who did what. For the NCSA
> code, either it stays in the public domain and any Apache patches
> go into the public domain with it,
Why is that?  If you put the Apache copyright on it then it's
copyrighted.  The fact that there is a varient in the public domain
doesn't invalidate the copyright on the published work that is
claiming a copyright (I'm not a lawyer but I believe this is so).