Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by cl...@gmail.com on 2018/12/08 16:16:01 UTC

importing

To whom it may concern;

Presently, I am using Microsoft Access as my database for my men's club
roster.  I have approximately 300 records.  I would like to use Apple Open
Office Base in lieu of Access.  I have two tables (one for active members
and one for dropped members).  I have several (at least twenty-five) queries
in that Access database.

I tried the online suggestion to bring over to Open Office all my tables and
queries.  However, every one of the queries came over as a table.  Not one
query.  All tables.

My basic question is: Is there a way to import an Access query into Apple
Open Office?

C L Rockwell

Clrockwell15@gmail.com

Re: importing

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

> On 9 Dec 2018, at 3:16 am, <cl...@gmail.com> <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To whom it may concern;
>

> Presently, I am using Microsoft Access as my database for my men's club
> roster.  I have approximately 300 records.  I would like to use Apple Open
> Office Base in lieu of Access.

First of all, you should be aware that the build in database is good for test purpose only.
If forever your system crash it is not always easy to recovery the file.

> I have two tables (one for active members
> and one for dropped members).  I have several (at least twenty-five) queries
> in that Access database.
>

> I tried the online suggestion to bring over to Open Office all my tables and
> queries.

Could you tell us which online suggestion, there are many suggestions but not all of them are good.

Re: importing

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
The only way that I know of is to open the Access Query for editing and
switch to the SQL view. Then copy the text of the SQL statement and paste
into a new Query created in Base also open in SQL view mode. Rinse and
repeat for each of the queries in the Access file.

The help system in Access covers how to switch into SQL view there.

Same holds for the Base application, the help shows you how to switch the
Query designer into SQL view.

The actual select statement may need some translation from the dialect used
in Access and the dialect used by whichever of the database engines Base is
working with at the moment.

Best wishes,