Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by David Ballano Fernandez <df...@demonware.net> on 2022/04/27 22:03:43 UTC

kafka 2.7 to 2.8 upgrade

Hi guys.

I have a question about upgrades.  I am currently on 2.7 or confluent
opensource 6.1.

since my last upgrade from confluent opensoure 5.x (kafka 2.0) my
server.properties
has this:

inter.broker.protocol.version=2.7
log.message.format.version=2.0

following confluent notes for upgrades mentions that on my first restart
those 2 configs should be set to:

inter.broker.protocol.version=*2.7*
log.message.format.version=*2.7*

then before my second restart i should  set:

inter.broker.protocol.version=*2.8*
log.message.format.version=2.7

and it seems i can leave message format to 2.7 Because the message format
is the same in Confluent Platform 3.3.x   (kafka 0.11.0.x) through 7.1.x
(kafka 3.1.*), this step is optional if the upgrade is from Confluent
Platform 3.3.x (kafka 0.11.0.*) or newer.

Also I guess that is the reason log.message.format.version was set to 2.0
at the beginning.

Am I understanding the upgrade process correctly?
Thanks very much.